do you have a play room??

How do you organize it?

Or even your kids rooms?

I am needing ideas on how to organize their room, and not spend a ton of money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We recently finished our basement, so ALL toys, games and little pieces of whatever stay downstairs!! Having the luxury of space, my husband and BIL installed floor to ceiling book shelves along one wall, which fits their TV/entertainment/game station, books, and bulky toys. Then I stacked a bunch of decorative and colorful plastic "milk crates" tying them together with cable ties to provide additional open storage of things like Legos, Army men, Lincoln Logs, etc. (I have two boys).

I think the key is labeled bins (stuffed animals, books, crayons, etc.) and shelves no matter how much space you have.

I LOVE the finished basement, I literally "chip shot" toys that make their way upstairs when I sweep the kitchen (I put them where they belong later), and get them back into the basement where they belong! So much better than stepping on things, and having my main floor look like Toys R Us exploded! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:48 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Go get two plastic lided containers, fill them with the toys, put one out, put the other in a closet. Then you can switch out toys ever so often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Build shelves, lol. I know it sounds simple and all that but thats what we did. I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old and one on the way so we need all of the space we can get. My hub put floor to ceiling shelves in their playroom and then they have a long shelf in their room for the rest that didn't fit on the floor to ceiling shelves. Or hit some rummage sales and find toy boxes or things that can be used as toy boxes. I like the Sterilite stackables also. They are pretty cheap and I let my kids decorate them so that they aren't so boring, they also come in great colors.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We have a toy box, an armoire and a plastic container. Stuffed animals go in the plastic container, hard plastic toys go in the toy box and the rest goes in the armoire.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I love plastic bins with tops. I also have shelves and I rotate the toys once a month, so they never get to tired of them.
    gkm15099

Answer by gkm15099 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• yep.

we have those wood shelves from Ikea with the bins that slide in. big bins for the big stuff, small for the small stuff.

and then a smaller shelf with the shoebox size bins for their craft stuff.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You Ladies are lucky (the one's with the shelves) with my Monkeys I cant have anything like that. We have had to anchor the furniture to the walls and taken anything away that they can use to climb on. We have a fireplace mantle where we keep the books and dvd's, we have the boys sitting on the mantle throwing stuff off.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• *we have FOUND the boys sitting on the mantle throwing stuff off."
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I HAVE A SMALL BOOK SHELVE WITH THESE CANVAS BINS .....http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10088412..........THIS IS HER SHELF ...I WILL SOON DO MORE LOLImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2009