Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


How do you commit someone? If they have made comments about committing suicide, and have other issues like drinking and anger management problems, how can you get them committed to a mental facility? Does it have to be court ordered? If you need more details, please just ask.

No Bashing. I'm being serious, this is an issue I'm dealing with that has gotten out of hand, and I'm at a loss.


Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Email me, maybe I can help you.

    Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • Sorry that you are going through this. I have no idea but I would call a crisis hot line or a crisis center in your state. They can probably point you in the right direction. Good luck and I think you are a good person for caring enough to try to help, just make sure you don't loose your mind and sanity in the process. Take care.

    Answer by bebita at 10:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • I was told that it takes 2 people (they prefer family members) to have someone committed. However, you can call the police immediately and tell them that you know this person is threatening to kill themself and the police usually take them to the hospital. There are hotlines also. Google "suicide hotlines". There is TONS of information on who exactly to contact and what the laws are on this. Good luck babe!

    Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • See if your state has a Baker Act then call your police dept and ask how to commit someone using the Baker Act

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2009