Teething or Ear Infection? How to tell the difference?

I think my daughter may have an ear infection, but the thing is she's also teething (her two bottom front teeth poked through today!) How can I tell the difference between if she's just teething or if she does have an ear infection?

CherishLife4Evr

Asked by CherishLife4Evr at 9:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My step mom gave me the best advice on this one. If she's pulling at her ear or messing with her ear she probaly has an ear infection. I'd of course take her to the DR. just to make sure but it sounds like she's just teething babe.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• if the things that normally help when shes teething (teething tablets, teething rings, cold stuff etc..) don't help it may be an infection as well. does she pull on the ear? is there a bad fever involved or only about a degree higher than normal? is her appetite affected more so than when she is just teething? these were all clues that my dd had an ear infection on top of teething and she had a lot of ear infections.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If they are up at night and very fussy at night or have a fever they might have an ear infection.If they are pulling at their ear, it won't hurt to boil olive oil and minced garlic, let it cool then put in a dropper and put a couple drops down in their ear. I am a nurse and I like alternative medicine too. My son is three and has never been on an antibiotic. With teething and being fussy you can give some teething tablets that you can buy at walmart and it has chamomile in it which will calm and help them rest and you rest too!Hope this helps.
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• A test I was told to check for ear infections is to see if they can hear sounds at their ears. Try rattling something next to each ear. if they know where it is chances are the ear does not have the block up of an ear infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• With an ear infection or ache the baby cries more when lying down. I don't know how this can help you, but ear infections cause dizziness too. Hope it's just her teething tho. Call the doc if you really think its ear related. Maybe if fever continues or if she continuously cries and is fussy. No harm in checking it out.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Oh and i think redness around inner ear is a sign too
    heartfrommyson

• as a sufferer of chronic ear infections through my adolescence I beg you to take her to the doctor and have her ears looked in if she does have an ear infection the more time you play the guessing game the more intense and excruciating the pain is for her and it takes a while for antibiotics to start working my 1 year old has double ear infections right now that were missed by three doctors earlier this week this afternoon he just started screaming non-stop and sure enough he had a wicked infection and is just miserable, take the chance of looking over protective and take her to a doctor
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• rejecting the bottle is also a sign or drinking a bottle in spurts rather than all at one time
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009