Vegetables-Dumb Question

My kids love vegetables, but they always eat them out of a can. Honestly, I have no idea how to cook real vegetables. I don't even know if I would know what a real PEA looks like to buy it. if I had a bag of beans, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Are canned veggies just as nutritional as the real stuff? And does everybody feel their kids canned veggies? lol Yes, this is a serious question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• frozen is much better than canned; frozen vegetables have more nutrition and do not have the added sodium, etc.
    I will be happy to share healthy, family and budget friendly recipes with you; send me a message offlist if you are interested.
    Basic Pinto Beans

2 cups dried pinto kidney, or black beans
    1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic
    4 tbls. olive oil
    pinch salt

Soak beans for at least 8 hours.

Add beans, onion, garlic and oil to crockpot and cook on low for 10- 12 hours.

Drain beans, reserving 1-2 cups of liquid. Process until desired consistency in food processor, adding liquid as necessary.

Salt to taste.

For traditional refried beans, mash well drained beans in hot oil instead of processing them.

This keeps well in the fridge, or freezes wonderfully.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I buy canned diced tomatoes, and sometimes canned green beans, but mostly we use frozen veggies. The canned things are better than not eating any veggies for sure, but there is usually a lot of salt added, so I try to get the low sodium or no salt added stuff. Fresh or frozen veggies may have more nutritional value, simply because the longer something is cooked, the more vitamins and minerals are lost in the cooking liquid (everything canned is cooked at pretty high temperatures and then cans are sealed to make sure it is shelf-stable). Fresh veggies are great, and not too expensive if you buy what's in season and plan meals around the produce you have available. If you want something that isn't in season, you might find it cheaper frozen. Most of the veggies I cook are steamed in the microwave, in a corningware glass dish, but you can boil or steam veggies on the stove pretty easily too.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Just experiment - For ideas on ways to make veggies, try www.allrecipes.com or http://www.epicurious.com
    They are like online cookbooks, I like to go there and enter one of the ingredients I have and see what recipes come up.
    My kids love the little farm market near us in the summer, or just the produce aisle at our grocery store, because I let them each pick one fruit or veggie to buy, then when we get home I figure out what to do with it. Sometimes it's an adventure, lol But my kids actually know what a jicama and an eggplant are. It's kind of funny when the highschool kids who cashier have to ask me what things are in order to ring us up.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• get the ziplock steam bags....sold in the same place you buy sandwich bags.....buy your frozen veggies and cook them in the steam bag......very healthy and there's no pots to clean :o)
    You can also use fresh veggies in the steam bags.......
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009