Getting my little one to sleep

Ok, she is 4 months 3 weeks and for 3 weeks everynight I do the same thing... early home, bathtime, quiet, liights low or off , no noise, book read to her , feeding then off to her crib. Everytning goes ok but then until about midnight she is up screaming every 1/2 hr or less then she gets a good 4-5 hrs then up every 2 after that.. I just cannot seem to get her to sleep. I have tried walking the 5 s's. She gets swaddled every night and a nuk in the crib if she will take it. I am breastfeeding and I try not to feed her except about midnight when she is hungry. She doesnt spit up and her dipers are fine... so help what am I doing wrong that she wont fall asleep?

mtk35

Asked by mtk35 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could really be anything. All you can do is exactly what you are doing. They have periodic spells where they are awake, adjusting to life as a bigger person. She might just have her days and nights mixed up, which is quite common. When you say she screams, she might just have a little gas. That happens. When she is awake, it is okay to let her lay in her crib awake until she gets sleepy again.

It sounds like you are being a great mom. Hang in there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• are you sure that she is not hungry when she wakes up? She may be going through a growth spurt, and need more nutrition. my daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Some babies do not sleep all night long until they are much older. She may just be one of them. Give her time, she will eventually sleep all night long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It's possible she's teething, or has some gas, or just needs some comfort from mommy too. I'm sure you are not doing something wrong, and she probably is just hungry because she's going through a growth spurt. Most babies are just not designed to sleep 8-10 hours in their crib without eating, inspite of what other people may tell you. She sounds like a very normal almost-5-month-old. Each of my kids woke up a lot (and still do sometimes, although they are weaned now), and it came and went in phases. Usually the night waking and crying fits were more frequent just before some big milestone like sitting up, crawling, signing "milk", saying 1st words, walking, etc. Hang in there!
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• is it possible she has reflux? try elevating the head of mattress or letting her sleep in a swing (we used a fisher price soothing motions glider and went from 2 hours of sleep at a time to 6 and then 8!) but be forewarned if you go the swing route switching to the crib again when they are older is rough but for the few months that we had sanity in our home the week of rough nights was totally worth it!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• at four months, they still need to eat on demand. You will not get a baby to sleep that lond with no food until they are older...and "through the night" for a baby IS 5 hours. so if she's sleeping that...then guess what, thats through the night at this age...my daughter is a year old and STILL wakes up a couple times a night....just give her what she needs...at this point she is too young and probably won't sleep the 8 hours you would like her to. Odds are she won't sleep that til MUCH later.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:06 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• When she wakes, nurse her. She will eventually outgrow the need, but not meeting it now will only prolong the arrival of that day.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2009