Is this a good custody plan?

The kid spends the school year with one parent and the summers with the other and no child support given to either parent.

If both parents agree, is that a good plan or should it be tweeked? How so?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I stayed with my mom for school and my dad for summer. We also kind of alternated holidays like
    1 year I would go to my dad's for easter and thanks giving and the next I would go for christmas and.. .whatever else. It worked good, but my dad still payed child support through the summer which I thought was kind of dumb.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• If both parents agree then yes it's a good plan.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• don't forget to think about holidays... But what ever the parents are willing to agree on is what should happen. What about medical expenses? Weekends, birthdays? Think about how distance will factored in, will just one of you or both of you be in charge of going to get the child from the other one, will you meet some where in the middle?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If parents agree on it being a good plan, yes, it's good regardless of the arrangements. All that matters is that BOTH agree fully.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You should consider holidays, birthdays, vacations, medical expenses, school expenses. There is really a lot more to it than school year and summer vacation. When they start to drive who will help get the car who will carry insurance.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Very bad. The child should have both parents in their life on a regular basis, during the school year they will miss the summer parent and miss the school year parent during the summer. I would imagine the bonds between parent and child would suffer from such a arrangement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• That is what we do and it works really well. If something major comes up then the other parent helps out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Its a good plan if you can stand being away from your child like that. I really dont think I could do it but I think thats mostly because I know their dad is not responsible enough.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 11:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No, I don't think it is. That means the child doesn't see one of the parents for 9 months at a time. That just isn't right to me. Seems that the child is getting the raw end of the deal. If it is done because one of the parents live in another state, that is different but there should still be child support being paid to the one that has the child during the school year.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• OP here.

Thanks everyone for your answers, cool getting some feedback from both sides. We have been doing something like that up until now for my 3 year old son. When he was a baby I only worked weekends so he spent the weekends with his dad and the weekdays with me. I lost my job when he has 1.5 years old, quickly found another one but i had to open my avaliability to include the weekdays too so he was with dad full time until his 3rd birthday, now he is with me full time. When he was with his dad, I spent 1 weekend per month with him and now that he is with me, his dad spends about 1 weekend per month with him also. I came up with the school year/summers plan and thought it was a great idea especially when he starts school next year. Neither of us have paid c/s thus far. Just wanted opinions, thanks everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 7, 2009