Birthdays Near Christmas

I always worry that I will have a baby near Christmas and that the child will not feel like their B-day is special. PErsonally, I LOVE B-days and try to make a big deal out of them. If you have kids borns near Christmas, what is your opinions on how the kids deal. If you could change thier B-day would you?

crazy4u49033

Asked by crazy4u49033 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My grandpa's bday was on Christmas Eve. I remember my grandma telling me stories that his parents would always forget about his birthday because they were so caught up in the whole Christmas thing. I thought that was so sad. I actually also have several friends who's bdays are near Christmas and they all hate it. My bday is Jan 24th and I even hate my birthday because it's so soon after Christmas that I have nothing to look forward to for the rest of the year.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My DHs b day is the 14 of Dec and hated it because everyone is so busy getting ready for christmas he got forgotten. My mom and BFF have b days on Jan 2 and they hated it because no one remembers because the holiday season is "finally over" and they are lost in it all. All three of them have said that what they hated most when they were kids was getting one presant from someone and having them say "this is for b day and christmas" that stinks when you are a kid an everone else gets b day AND christmas presants and you only get one. Now that they are adults they say it is not really a big deal.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My daughter was due in April. She was born on December 27. I was not expecting a Christmas baby! We always have a separate birthday party for her. We try to keep it right around her actual birthday so that the out-of-towners can attend before they go back home. It's a BUSY week for us, but everybody is always happy to come to her party and shower her with even more gifts. It's tough financially having her birthday and Christmas so close together, but I wouldn't change it. There's nothing we can do about it, so we just make the most of it. I just hope she never feels like she's getting lost in the holiday shuffle as she gets older and the novelty of the birthday party wears off.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 11:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My birthday is December 13th. My Mom did everything she could to keep it seperate from Christmas for me. This included not decorating for Christmas or putting up our tree until after my birthday.

Birthday parties were often difficult though because other people were often off doing Christmas shopping, sick, buying their tree, attending Christmas parties, etc.

I hate the date of my birthday, not because it's near Christmas, but because I'm NOT a winter person. I don't want winter "toys", I don't like doing activities in the cold. I would rather have a summer birthday and get a back yard barbecue party than ice skating and hot chocolate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My cousins all have B-days only days away from Christmas, sadly to say I only give them one gift and its for both christmas and their b-day...im so wrapped up in holidays i usually forget about their b-days
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My birthday is December 13 so I've had to deal with birthday slash Christmas presents most of my life but I always got a birthday party and cake that was separate from Christmas. My brother's birthday is January 29 (a whole month after Christmas) and he got screwed almost every year because my dad doesn't understand the concept of budgeting and would spend all the money on Christmas and there was never anything left over for my brother's birthday.
    My youngest daughter's birthday is the beginning of April so it falls around Easter every year. But since we don't really do anything big for birthdays it's never been an issue. We don't throw parties and just go out to eat, have cake and a few gifts and that's it. We don't do much for Easter either.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My son's first birthday is coming up Dec 16. He was due Dec 24 so I am glad he came a little early. I really hope that I am able to keep evrything seperated but all these stories are giving me doubts!!!
    vanessabrown

Answer by vanessabrown at 12:52 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Mine's the 11th. I always had a birthday party, but all through high school (my choice) the party usually involved putting up the Christmas tree. I also got a lot of that "sorry, you just aren't worth both" crap about the gifts.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• MY sons is the 11th and he gets a big party adn a greta christmas
    my BIL bday is the 22nd and a cousin of my husbands is the 24th and my FIL is the 27th LOL they all seem to still lvoe their bdays
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My family. A grand Nephew was born on Christmas Day. A neice on the 27th of December. My DD is Dec. 7th! Her DH's is Dec.2nd. My Grandson's is Dec.5th. My Step Grandson has A December 15th BD! With my DD people were always Busy! Or bad weather prevented gatherings! The best thing you can do is love your child. And do what you care to to make their Day! Nontheless you can't do what's out of your control. Sure some will say this is your Christmas Gift & BD gift! But there's nothing you can do about that! But for the ones that love you & your child will still do what they would no matter what! Best of Luck on having A wonderful Healthy Happy Baby!! Me- I'm Waiting on A new Grand Baby Girl any minute!! She's the mom to the Sweetie Boy born on 12/5/07.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2009