Cant find sex?

I went in for my second u/s today, unfortunately I didnt drink a lot of water because I was told it would be vaginal, when in fact it wasn't. The tech studied the baby for about 15-20 minutes and could not get a good shot of under the butt/ between the legs. She said the baby wasn't in a good position to see the genitals. I personally think she just was being lazy and didnt know what she was doing. Am I wrong to be so upset about this? I feel like she wasnt doing her job right.
I was so anxious to know because I wanted to start buying things... Im already 19 weeks!!!

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 11:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes its not the person doing the ultrasound. It could have very well been that your child wasn't laying right. Because when I went to see what mine was at first it looked like a boy. Then she checked two more times and it was for sure a girl. So don't get upset. There is usually a 50% chance that the ultrasound about the sex is correct anyway.
    Poopie08

Answer by Poopie08 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would be upset too, but if they don't get a clear view they won't tell you one way or another. There are the 3/d 4/d US places that will tell you the sex of the baby.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I understand your excitement of being pregnant, it's defiinitely a time to look forward too!!! But the u/s tech's job is first to take pictures of the baby whole or specific parts per medical reason then second if able to determine sex. Think about it, the baby's pretty small still, much smaller than when born and that means their sex organs are even smaller yet!!!!

Plus babe is wiggling and swimming and squirming - even if you're promised the sex of the baby during pregnancy by u/s or even amnio those are not always 100 percent sure. Birth is sure.

Try to relax so baby will grow - my husband and I didn't want to be told baby's sex and we were not for any of our kids, 3. But with our last we did take a regular tape recorder and tape record her heartbeat and the conversation that went on while taping it.

You can just as easily have someone video tape you if you have another u/s just for the excitement of the u/s. Rest!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:03 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i didnt find out the sex till i was 30wks had nothing to do with the techs sometimes the baby just doesnt want to show
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 12:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 15-20 minutes sounds like she was trying to find out for you. it is a disapointment, but try to schedule another one and drink a lot of water next time. if worst comes to worst- you'll find out in a few months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I doubt it was laziness, because 15-20minutes is a long time for most techs. Our ultrasound to find out the sex was the same at first. It was also the detailed scan, so mine was about an hour long, & still she said the way the baby was positioned she just couldn't get a look (she also couldn't get three of the measurements she needed). I had to wait another 2weeks before trying again, & that time he was spread eagle just waiting LOL. Just be patient, that's all you can do. Also know that ultrasound genders aren't even NEAR 100% - however, if you get an amnio you can find out for sure through dna (they will check the sex chromosome - either XX or XY - nothing iffy about it LOL). Just don't get one unless it is necessary (as in dont opt for one JUST for the gender since there is a M/C chance).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:46 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thanks everyone, I'm hoping that I my insurance will cover me for another sonogram right after this one... Hopefully within the next 2 weeks. If not, then I might end up paying cash and going elsewhere. Its just soooo frustrating, I lost sleep last night cause I couldnt wait to find out, I really thought I was going in for a straight answer... I shouldnt have gotten my hopes up so much... My baby is already playing tricks on me lmao..
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:35 AM on Sep. 5, 2009