Is anyone trying their best to stay out of the doctors office

because of the flu? My mom is a nurse at a ped office and she said it is crazy all the parents who are bringing in healthy kids for well child checkups or want their kid tested for the flu even though they have had no symptoms. She said one lady had brought her kid in 5 times now to be tested for flu. Well today she had it big surprise right. She said they saw 200 kids today and only 14 had the flu. But how many were exposed today from being there.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 12:04 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't usually bring them in unless I have to but I do take my 15 month old to her well baby check ups. Aren't you supposed to??????
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Absolutely! Germ city!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i dont go to the hospital unless I feel like im dying...i hate going to the doctors either way
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree if your children are well it isn't a good time to takr them in. I would wait till the flu thing blows over.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My ped's office has a "well child waiting room" and one for the sick kids. It's kind of dumb though because you have to go through the sick kid's room to go into the exam room area. I only go when my son is REALLY sick or when he has a regular check up.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It would be better to hold off on the checkup if you can. Of course ask your drs opinion on that. But if your kid isnt sick and you take them into a place filled with germs you are asking for trouble. Think of the door handles books etc. Just scary!
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• They have a well waiting room and a sick waiting room too but all the exam rooms arent split up. And kids touch everything. Plus the nurse and the dr have been dealing with germy sick people all day. Sure you wash your hands but your clothes cant be washed off at work.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My dd (2 1/2 years old) was sick with a high fever and congestion a few weeks ago. I called the doctor and they wanted to see her right away. When I took her, I brought books from home and I kept her in the stroller. When the doctor was checking her, I held her. I did not let her touch ANYTHING. The very first thing they did (after taking her temp) was shove a large q-tip up her nose to check for flu. After everything was done, I washed her hands, my hands and used the paper towell to turn off the water and open the 3 doors to the lobby. If you can, avoid it...but if you need to go, take special percautions. She didn't have the flu...just a cold.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:19 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• No our dr office is split
    one side healthy the other sick or to be believed sick
    So kids dont go off and get sick for going to the dr.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i have always thought the idea of walking thru the waiting room for sick kids to get to the "well check" waiting room was funny! yeah. i would be the parent laughing to myself shaking my head while checking my kids name onto the checkin roster....as they wait outside until their name is called. the less exposuse to the entire place the better...then i go wait with them and put on some hand sanitizer since I touched all those germ ridden surfaces.

i think as a parent i need to educate myself. so i have. i do what i can to avoid doctor office visits. its hard since i suffer from chronic paranoid hyperchondria. LOL

RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 8:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2009