Is it safe to have sex after labor and delivery if it's before 6 weeks?

Just had a baby aug 25 and i was told no intercourse for 6 weeks...why is that necessary? What could happen if I didn't wait 6 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't wait the 6 weeks. I had sex at 5 weeks and it hurt like hell. at my 6 week appt, my doctor asked if I had sex and I said yes, and he lectured me about that because the sex ended up interfering with my episiotomy stitches healing. He had to close a permanent tear with silver nitrate and it HURT. Next time I will wait.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It is necessary to allow your body time to heal to prevent infection. I am guilty of not waiting the entire 6 weeks but close to it.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• some people will tell you so what as long as you are not bleeding but I still think doctors know best about this. ob-gyns look at those areas all day long and they know how everything should be taken care of. wait the 6 weeks....even if you have a C sec
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• they tell you to wait probably because your body is still trying to get used to not being pregnant anymore. i haven't had sex and my baby is 3 months, but that's because I'm single - lol. the L&D doctor told me to wait 6 weeks then to ask my doctor, but my doctor came to visit the day I left and told me that if I felt comfortable having sex before the 6 weeks is up, then I can. she did tell me to wait 2 weeks until the stitches were healed. if you had stitches, intercourse may affect the stitches healing as the PP stated, which is why my doctor told me to wait until the stitches were healed and the soreness went away.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• We heal at different rates, so some women could be okay sooner than others. Care providers are looking out for infection. I think that 6 weeks is like an average. (*It took me several months to feel normal again.)

Did you have a vaginal birth~ easy placenta delivery (no doctor tugging)? Any interventions/tearing/cutting the perineum?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:21 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• wanna have another baby soon, huh?
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 12:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• with our first, we waited the whole 6 weeks because we were scared not to. but with #2, we couldn't wait past 4. :) luckily, even after a rough labor and delivery, it didn't mess anything up. it DID hurt like hell though. best bet is to just listen to the dr.
    KaMomma

Answer by KaMomma at 12:28 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It is absolutely neccesary!! Let me tell you what happened to my sister recently. She did not wait her six weeks to have sex and got pregnant again. Because she was not fully healed and her body wasn't ready to carry another baby she lost her baby. Now her OBGYN is worried that she may have caused enough damage that she won't ever be able to carry a baby. This is an extreme example but weigh the risks with the benefits!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I waited two weeks after delivery to have sex. But i didnt tear or have any stiches but it still hurt like a bitch and we couldnt finish.
    zimmtobe

Answer by zimmtobe at 1:28 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I didnt wait the 6 weeks after either baby. We had sex 3 weeks later w/ #1 and 2 weeks later w/ #2 however, we used a condom every time til I got on BC. It did not feel good at all but it didnt hurt either. But I had not tears, not even superficial
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2009