It hurts to have sex.

My son was born vaginally nine months ago, and I had 3 episiotomy stitches to patch up a 2nd degree tear. Foolishly, I did not wait the 6 weeks to have sex. Me and my husband had sex at 5 weeks postpartum, and it hurt so bad I thought I was going to lose my mind. I did not bleed but I was still in pain. Then a week later, at my 6 week checkup, my doctor asked me if I had slept with my husband and I said yes. Then he lectured me about it because my stitches had not totally healed ( you couldn't actually see them ) and the pressure against that area's tear was making sex so painful. Then he used silver nitrate to help heal the area and it HURT. Ever since, sex hurts. If it's not downright painful, it's too dry down there for me and my hubby to have sex. Has this happened to anyone else? I am worried that the interference with the stitches healing may have caused permanent discomfort. What is the best lube out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Health

• Have you had a checkup since that silver nitrate appointm. to make sure that it did heal up? I'd get that ok before having sex. You've been though an awful lot more than once so why not make sure the healing is done?

My husband and I have always used good old fashion vaseline as a lube - it heats up just nice in just a small amount plus when we didn't want to get pregnant we used spermacide gell that was great too.

Good luck and feel better!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2009