Are the trials fianlly on their way?

BOISE, Idaho — A federal appeals court delivered a stinging rebuke Friday to the Bush administration's post-Sept. 11 detention policies, ruling that former Attorney General John Ashcroft can be held liable for people who were wrongfully detained as material witnesses after 9/11.

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the government's improper use of material witnesses after Sept. 11 was "repugnant to the Constitution and a painful reminder of some of the most ignominious chapters of our national history."

The court found that a man who was detained as a witness in a federal terrorism case can sue Ashcroft for allegedly violating his constitutional rights. Abdullah al-Kidd, a U.S. citizen filed the lawsuit against Ashcroft and other officials in 2005, claiming his civil rights were violated when he was detained as a material witness for two weeks in 2003.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Considering its the most overturned radical court in the nation. Not likely.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Even if they tried and convicted the entire White House and staff Obama would pardon them. He would want the same when he crimes come to light. This is pointless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think its pointless, they'll never do time. I hope some of the people that were tortured and have been freed, or obtain their freedom soon sue the shit out of them. Because they might not be able to take away their liberty, but they sure the hell can take away their money.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I sincerely hope so, but I know better than to hold my breath. After they go after Bush, I hope they go after Obama for his continuation of Bush's illegal policies. Who knows, pigs might fly someday! :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2009