is 13 to young for birthcontrol?

i wont to put my 13 year old on the pill. i would like to do this to help her be reg. but her dad is saying no she is to young. that i am just telling her to go out and have sex. whta do you think is a good age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• my neice is 12 and she had really bad periods so my sister put her on bc to reg, her flow and she is not sexually active. I think a kid will have sex when they want to regardless of BC or not. So i would do it, bc one day she will become sexually active and you would really rather be safe then sorry, i was put on BC at 13 when I started my periods and i was not sexually active til i was 16 so, i dont know if that helps.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I was put on at that age to keep me regular too. I had horrible periods, I understand why you would.
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Well i think if you were to do this, it would have to be with a very serious talk with your daughter about sex and birth control. I don't think it is a bad thing at all. The only thing i could see that would be tricky is making sure she is taking it! Whether she is or isn't having sex, it is very important to take the pill every day and at the same time. I'm 24 and still can't remember lol! If it was my daughter, i think about 15 is a better age. But go with your gut, if you feel that it is best for YOUR child, then go for it, make the appointment, just make sure she understands completely why she is going on the pill and all the messy stuff that goes with it. Good luck mama!!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I had to be on bc at an early age to regulate my periods, lol the first time I had sex was when I married my hubby. Like the PP mentioned is a child is going to have sex it's going to happen with or without bc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• no, i was on b/c at 12 to regulate my periods and make them less severe...I would end up in the emergency everytime until then, my body just completly turned its back on me and would go into shock...the B/c helped lessen that and I could start taking 800mg motrin days before to prep myself...nothings wrong with it and wont hurt her.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i probably should have been put on bc about that age (14). not for being sexually active but for irregular periods that became nonexistant. i was later put on bc at about 17. for the irregular periods. but its better to find out why they are irregular in the first place. i found out later it's because i have PCOS. the bc can just mask the fact that she might be having some core issues. bc is sometimes prescribed for pcos but its good to know if that or something else is what she might have.
    yes i also pushed getting the bc with my doctor more at that age because i had at 17 become sexually active. but the doctor wanted to put me on it for the irr. periods. so i just got an added benefit...
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 1:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• If you are putting her on bc to control periods, I can't see how that is encouraging her to have sex. But, I agree you should talk to her about sex.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:31 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• IF it is to regulate her periods or help with cramps, then it is ok. She still needs the sex talk though. DOn't make her suffer if there is a way to help her. My cousin was on bc for her periods at a young age and my uncle never knew about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• No it's not too young. Whatever your reasons are for doing it, I'm sure it's not a malicious reason. You're trying to HELP her. Tell your DH when he knows how it feels to have an irregular period, then he can have say so. She shouldn't be miserable because HE doesn't understand.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Ok first you have to talk with your daughter...second, Dom said "nothings wrong with it and wont hurt her". That isn't entirely true...being on birthcontrol for extended time frames can be dangerous for some women. Not all mind you but some rare cases. You and your daughter need to have a visit with your health care provider and discuss all the possible side effects of prolonged usage. You may have another alternative. And there is nothing wrong with irregular cycles. It can take women reaching the mid 20's to become regular. IMO just think if the benifits outweigh the risks.
    Jindry

Answer by Jindry at 7:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009