Babies chest sinking in

I was giving my 3 month old daughter a bath tonight and saw the when she was breathing in between her rib cage above her tummy that little area it was sinking way down in is that normal? i've never noticed it before and i cant find anything on it online please help if you know anything about this thank you

Asked by luckyambear at 12:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's where her diaphragm's what expands and shrinks as you breathe. If it's sinking in drastically you may want to take her to the doc. Im not sure how far when you say "way down." But that is where the diaphragm is.

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:04 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• it was sinking in like 1/4 of an inch and thats the only time i've ever seen that happen

Answer by luckyambear at 1:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• three months old with chest sinking in, take her to the nearest hospital, this is called repressed breathing and it could be something minor or something as major as heart failure. Go now mom!

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Take your daughter to the ER NOW! My son had this and he was admitted to the hospital, it can be anything from a viral resp. infection, that is what he had, to early signs of asthma. Also if you see her breathing like this, also check her neck, the throat will sink in as well. I wrote about some of this on my blog.. please take your daughter in!!

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• she didint seem to be in pain when it was doing it it only did it in the bath i dont know if it was just the positon she was in

Answer by luckyambear at 2:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i talked to the Doctor and he said it was just the positon she was in, he said has long as she's not turning blue and its not doing it anymore and she wasnt in pain she's fine but found out i have to go in this week cuz she goes a week without pooping and we have to give her a supository to poop. thank you all for your advice

Answer by luckyambear at 3:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2009