Why are some women so mean to women that are not like them in some way?

I have been thinking about this for some time and realized it just may be instinct. maybe this trait in women kept them in close knit groups that were safe and they had a longer life because of it. A women that has something different about her or her ways maybe could be seen as a threat to the group. As she may change things or ways of thinking and make others feel uneasy because of fear of the change. Also a threat to ones own perception.... Like the SAHM VS. WORKING MOM'S, REP VS. DEM, GOD VS. NO GOD, RICH VS. POOR and so on.....

I know not all women are like this, but many need to take a look and stop hating other women just because they don't have the same fill in the blank. Or not, you have the right to hate, but don't you think it's a bit silly?

Thanks for your time and any ideas about this i would love to hear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• It is silly but really it's not just women. It's called "group think". You are either "in" the group or you're not. Groups are powerful and people have a need to "belong". Some of us belong to certain religious groups, organizations, charities etc. We are social creatures and belonging to a certain group is how we gain a sense of our own identity.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• people are mean to other people to make themself feel better. They are obvioulsy bitter/sad/depressed/miserable people and by making others feel bad, it makes them feel better.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 1:14 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• So what happens if you do not belong to a group? Do you then have no or little identity?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• yes group think...lol i learned about this in college very interesting...it doesnt mean you dont have an identity if you do do what the group does...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Historically, gender occurred as behavior patterns and personality traits differentiated along lines of biological sex. These later became associated with cultural norms. For example, early hominids lived in communities of some sort that offered protection, belonging, food shelter, and a sense of belonging. Because of this early need of community, and the needs of those in the community, there was a break down of duties and a separation of labor early on. Men, being usually bigger, became the hunters and gatherers, while the women stayed at home to tend the fields, cook, and care for the children. In exchange, a woman was offered protection from wild animals as well as from other men who might want her, while the man was provided with a home and nest where he was offered physical comfort in all its forms. Although times changed....lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• "So what happens if you do not belong to a group? Do you then have no or little identity?"

Not at all. If that's what you took away from my post then you misunderstood what I said. I said people identify with "groups". Think about it, most people have no clue who they really are. You ask them who are you and they will usually say, " I'm mom, I'm a worker, I'm a wife, I belong to the PTA, I'm a christian, etc etc. That's how people identify themselves. They identify themselves by using what they do and what groups they belong to or what role they play in a family. Did I word that better?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I believe that you must take away all the stats like age, race, gender and any other thing you have no control over. then look at the things you do.....thats is who you are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2009