I have had a c-section and i am breast feeding but i need to know what i could eat so that i could feed my baby but not gain weight? how soon can i exersice after a c-section and what is recomended?

mamamay024

Asked by mamamay024 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doctor will give you the green light for exercise at your 6 week appointment. Do not exercise before then. You need to be eating a healthy, well balanced, diet to give your baby everything it needs. Don't worry about gaining or losing weight right now.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• drink plenty of water, that will help your milk supply
    eat healthy...veggies, fruits, meat (protein) drink at least one cup of milk per day or a substitute like cheese, yogurt...etc

dont worry about gaining...you can walk a long walk or go on a bike at a gym so your belly can rest
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You use up 300 to 500 calories a day from breastfeeding (I just heard this on the show The Doctors). That's as much or more than an hour workout! You will lose a lot of weight that way. Then when you go back to the doctor you can find out if it's ok to start excercising again.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 2:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• correction: up to 300-500 calories
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 2:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• legalmommy is RIGHT : ) Never do anything stress related yet. It hurts the balance of milk production , like burning calories . I was told by dr. to reserve all those calories for exclusively the breast milk production.
    Eat all and any food that promotes calories and protein, ( but no sugary excess, for example breakfast,..... have total cereal,fresh bananas, with wheat toast and juice .
    lunch, ....... have meat ....potatoes, ..... salad,..... bread ......
    Eat good snacks, ....... a;;lesauce.....pretzels......nuts......
    Supper........ have a good sandwich and a bowl of soup. grilled cheese/tomatoe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 1800 calories per day is your requirement.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I had a c-section (2nd c-section) on 6/26. I started some light exercise at around day 10 post op...walking about 2 to 3 miles. Keep in mind, I had been running during pregnancy up until month 7 and after that walking every day. I started running again at week 5 post op (3 to 4 miles with some walking breaks during the run). I just listened to my body and if it felt like I was doing too much I stopped. I'm now back to my regular routine and running daily 8 miles. My milk production was not affected at all and I am still breastfeeding. My OB was fully aware of my routine though. I'd definately talk to your OB about it before you do anything. Everyone heals differently.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Be prepared so moms gain while breastfeeding. I did with my dd and have this time. I don't over eat just my body don't burn the weight.

Drink lots of water, eat healthy. You don't have to change your diet when you are breastfeeding just have to stay after from foods that are gassy or spicey since it could upset the baby. Also, dairy can cause a baby to be gassy and cranky. IF you notice this stop all dairy products and wait two weeks to see if he/she gets better.

Another note, for use wheat bread messed up my son's tummy, whole wheat, honey wheat, 7 grain wheat.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009