So I have to get him out of the hole he put himself in, im so dissappointed...

Well Im 18 and my fiance is 22....we are expecting a baby pretty soon

heres my one issue wuth him, he's so irresponsible with his money

by the age of 22 this is his debts_-
3 credit cards thru banks that add up to...5250.00 all of them at their max, maybe some room like 50-100 dollars, I dont know or care

2 store credit cards that add up to 1100 it did add up to 1800 but he was delinquent and they lowered his limit a lot.

car payment that adds up to 6500
loan that is 4500

now i can honestly say that I did not contribute to that at all, it was all him and his stupidity

My CREDIT IS COMPLETLY CLEAR

well this year since ive been pregnant I have not been able to work but the year of 2010 I will work seasonally and split shifts so someone can always be home with the baby, maybe part time maybe full time

continued...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I agree I wouldnt pay off his debts unless you were married, he got himself in to this mess and he needs to be a big boy and get himself out i see nothing wrong with you paying the regular bills but paying off his debt for him only puts a bandaid on the problem he needs to learn to be smart with his money get him the book dave ramsey's total money makeover it will change your both your lives and hopefully give your relationship a stronger foundation since 75% of marriages that end in divorce end because of fighting over money
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• so ill be working about .30-40 hours a week for only 5- 6 months
    I should bring in 20k to 35k depending on if i work pt or ft

he usually brings in 40k-45k working full time year round....so we're not much different, infact if i worked year round FT id double him easily

anyway his money is going to be paying all normal bills...I projected his taxes and we will be able to wipe out his store cards and a bank card which is cool...plus the rest will go to out viacord fees

so the rest of the money that i make will be going to his debt, the difference for the new house, and medical coverage savings...

But i cant help my thoughts, we talk about marriage and I dont want to marry until his debt is clear. and yes I mean all of it, Its a sign of his stupidity and immaturity and I dont want his bad credit attatched to my name...one of us should be in the clear

Would you do what im doing and wait for marriage for his debt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't pay off his debts until you were married. Your credit scores are not combined until then and I'd hate to have paid off those debts only to be left in the dust (I know that won't happen and I'm not saying it will... I am just paranoid I guess).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Honestly, I'd go with your gut instinct to wait to marry until he's cleaned up his mess. Your credit may be significantly dragged down when you do if he doesn't.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• The Dept of Justice has put together a database of credit counseling/debt consolidation orgs with the DOJ stamp of approval-
    http://www.usdoj. gov/ust/eo/ bapcpa/ccde/

Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree with you that you shouldn't get married until you at least agree on finances and agree on your financial goals. If you two can take a class called Financial Peace University, it would be incredibly beneficial to both of you. It would benefit HIM now and help him see where he's made poor choices and teach him how to make the necessary changes to pay off his debts and it will teach you both how to work towards your future goals. FPU is usually taught in churches, but you can sometimes find the classes somewhere else. It is a program by Dave Ramsey, who is a "financial guru". He has a website, www.daveramsey.com you can find classes on there. He also has a great book that you both should read called The Total Money Makeover. Another thing, there is a group HERE called Dave Ramsey Fans. You could ask questions and get good answers from women who have been there (or are there now).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2009