Does reading this site make yourself feel better?

I feel in the dumps lately and for some reason, when I read about other people's problems, I feel much better. Not saying that I feel better about myself, but that I don't feel down anymore. Does this happen to anyone else? Why do you think this is? Is this the purpose of support groups? To share pain or feel someone's pain and not your own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes, it is a useful site to myself included!
    muffin400

Answer by muffin400 at 6:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Maybe it is that if we help someone else, or try to help someone else, it makes us feel more positive about ourselves. We feel that we can make a difference in someone's life.  It makes us feel like a good person..... (Good question. I hadn't thought about it before)  Maybe it takes our mind off of our own problems.

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree that it helps take my mind off of my problems. I don't necessarily feel better about some one else being worse off than I am but I like to try to help people so that they can get a handle on their situation.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:30 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think reading some posts makes me realize how lucky I am, and kind of puts things in perspective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yes it's completely normal and natural for us to look around when we have problems and pur our problems into perspective and lots of time realize, we don't have it that bad. I didn't joint this site for that but it does do that for me too.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 10:03 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I just got done Crying my Eyes out! Really Crying my eyes out! I feel so Weak, unwell Etc.. To my rope's end! Worse when I found out DH didn't get me any bananas. I've been run down & in A bad spot with my health lately. Where I feel like that will save my life! We were going into town last night for some needful things when I found out he drank 5 Beers then! So I couldn't! This Site Helps me! Unless I get a scolding or a mean reply. But I hope you find something to help! Cheer you up! Help you feel Better!! I'm trying to send Cyber healing Hugs to you!! So many are going through many hardships! It helps knowing you're not alone! You're not the only one! Misery loves company? I don't know! I try to help with my Caring words of comfort, wisdom smiles & concern. I Love to be helpful! Sending you a rainbow, love & cheer! Please Perk up. Feel Better! No one should feel hopeless. That's A terrible place to be. Take it from me.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2009