For parents of teenagers

What is this fad of teenagers having nothing to do outside of school, or of wasting time and destroying stuff at places that are clearly meant for little kids, like playgrounds where this is clearly who the equipment is for? Some of these kids are almost as big as my "5'3', and standing on toddler swings. The girls are dressed like hookers, and delight in tossing the soft swings around the support bar so they're too high. Equipment has had to be removed. Can't some of these moms shop w their kids to buy them properly fitting clothes? Or see to it that they try for part time jobs, or volunteer their time someplace? Or go to summer school or Sylvan? Some hang out in places like restaurants and harrass the customers. My mom would have had a fit if she saw one of us reading something age inappropriate, or hanging out at a little kids' park. What gives? I believe it takes parents, not a village, to raise a child.

mimismom436

Asked by mimismom436 at 7:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Plus this is a city w extensive public transportation, so there really is no excuse for teens to not get out and look for jobs or volunteer opportunities.
    mimismom436

Answer by mimismom436 at 7:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree that teens shouldn't be hanging out and destroying property, but it does take a village to help raise teenagers. You should enlist all the eyes and ears you can. I help out with the teens next door. There are 4 of them with one being 18 and another turning 18 in a couple of months. When mom isn't home I am eyes and ears for her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:28 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• If my 16yr old was doing that he would be in a lot of trouble, the problem is a lot of parents would rather be their child's friend and as long as their not bugging them they don't care what they do.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• When it comes to teens, it takes a village, teens are much more mobile and parents don't always know what is going on and if they are unaware then they can't fix the problem. I would hope that if someone saw my teen doing something like that they would say something and I would hope that if they knew who I was they would say something to me. I have only have one set of eyes and they can't be every where, I don't think it is unrealistic to expect other people to notice when a child is doing something inappropraite that they would say something.

As to clothes, every one has a different idea of what os acceptable, I don't hold that against anyone.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:46 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• As for the clothing it is highly possible that the teens are either getting their own clothes elsewhere (and changing after they leave their parents house) and the parents have no idea what they are wearing. It's also fairly easy to lie and say you will be one place and end up at another as a teen.

As for part time jobs, maybe these kids aren't old enough to work a part time job (You have to be 16 here, or 15 with a permit) or do you not realize how hard it is to get a job, especially as a teenager?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Some teens just have shitty parents and the "dont care" attitude is trickling down.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• "or do you not realize how hard it is to get a job, especially as a teenager?" How do you explain well behaved, respectable teens who have part time jobs? The teens who work w us at Kelly's Restaurant, where there is a craft night on Mondays for the little ones, are such teens.
    mimismom436

Answer by mimismom436 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2009