For those who answered SAHM for your future DILS

What do you plan for these ladies should your sons lose their jobs, or have their hours reduced, or become chronically ill, or die, or decide to divorce? A poster on another website is a nurse. Some of the most bitter patients she had were 'displaced homemakers': women who had to get educations or learn skills to get a job when their husbands abandonned them. They were totally unprepared for this possibility and assumed they would be cared for forever. Some women of my religion here go on public assistance, one did so when her husband died and she refuses to even get a part time job. This behavior DOES NOT make the religion any more appealing to the general public. One center in a largely unassimilated immigrant, high welfare population area shut down altogether. Do you want DILS w job skills for the worst case scenario? Plan to have your sons give them a cash dowry before they marry? What do you expect them to do?

mimismom436

Asked by mimismom436 at 7:36 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• well since they arent my daughters i cant say much (i didnt say SAHM i said whatever makes him happy) i wish all people would get an education, im getting mine and i'm happy
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:43 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My father had four daughters. He insisted that all get job preparation. He said you never know what would happen. As it turns out we all went to college. And we all worked. I was the only SAHM, but I did have a job both before children and after they were in school. My father's attitude was not the typical attitude at the time. In his generation it was expected that the woman would be a SAHM.

For their own security, and actually for the security of their family, I'd recommend that women get an education or job training.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think education is VERY important for everyone.

I want my future DIL and my own daughter to do whatever makes her happy, but I would hope that she has an education, no matter what she chooses to do.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm a sahm, but i have a degree. I only plan to be at home until they are all in school. There is no purpose to stay home when the children are gone all day. I have 2 sons and 2 daughters. I expect all my children to obtain the same level of education I have or exceed it. As for my future dils, I would not tolerate my sons marrying someone who doesn't have the same level of education as my children. I would expect these women to have goals, but I am a feminist and I don't think any woman should depend on a man to take care of them. Both should be equal partners.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2009