When to start feeding baby fruit/vegitables and how much/often?

How much and how often do you feed them the cereal, and when can you start feeding them veggies and fruits?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 8:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The recommended age is six months. As far as what and how much - at first your baby won't eat but a couple of spoonfuls. They take a while figuring out how to swallow! The nursing movement of the tongue will actually push food out of the mouth, so they have to learn a new technique! Once your baby is have no trouble swallowing, feed as much as they want and their bodies can handle! My daughter would eat about 1/2 cup at first. My boys both could eat about a cup of food once they were eating solids well. And as far as what - I made my own and gave them whatever I had available. It is often advised to introduce one thing at a time, my my kids ate all kinds of stuff. Even mashed food from my plate.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:43 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You can do fruits and veggies as long as they can tolerate the swallowing of them. I think that the texture of fruits and veggies is smoother than the cereal. My LO hated cereal. As she got older I was adding it to the food to thicken it. I would feed them until they didn't want it anymore. When you first start out it is just a few bites and then you will gradually increase what they want. Good luck this is a messy part of having a baby and so much fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I started my DH on cereal when she was 4 months old. then introduced veggies when she was 6 months, by that time, her tummy could handle the food and she was very interested in eating. I would feed her what she wanted, which normally turned out to be the whole state one container. I introduced fruits once she had mastered the veggies...about 7 months. she eats like a champ!!
    norasmom1229

Answer by norasmom1229 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• If the baby has been accustomed to eating a bowl of cereal they are likely to eat more than a couple of spoonfuls.
    norasmom1229

Answer by norasmom1229 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Talk to your Dr., but mine said 4 months was ok to start cereal and she said to add in fruits too because DS has problems with constipation sometimes. She said the fruits would help naturally so I wouldn't have to use medication to help him go. Normally though she suggests waiting until closer to 6 months for fruits/veggies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2009