When they say sex helps induce labor....

is that only the semen?
or does female orgasm do anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I believe that it is the semen. It does something to help the cervix soften so that you will begin to dilate.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think it is both. I think an orgasm gives you contractions.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Both... The one time I had awsome sex when I was pregnant, I went into labor right after I had the big O.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree with the other post. (Both)
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 9:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Having an orgasm sometimes helps bring on contractions, and semen does have a substance in it called prostaglandins, which helps ripen the cervix. Having an orgasm release oxytocin, which may help bring on contractions. You may or may not feel like having sex at 9 months, but sex has been proven to be the most effective method of self-inducing labor. Give it a shot.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 9:53 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It is both.
    Yours for contractions. His for cervix "ripening."
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:47 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I had sex last night. I'm nine months. I had the worst cramping ever with back pain afterwards, so I'm pretty sure it was contractions. I was up all night in pain. I told my husband this morning, that was probably the last time we would do it before the birth. I dont want that pain and no sleep before the baby is born!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• The female has to have an orgasim b/c that 's where the contractions start. You can actually just masterbate and the same thing will occur if you dont feel like having sex. It has nothing to do with him.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009