Can I turn a bias cut pattern to the straight grain?

I bought a dress pattern that is bias cut, however, my body shape doesn't work well with the bias cut. I really love this dress pattern though and would like to turn it to the straight grain. I know it'll drape differently and I'm planning on cutting it out of muslin first to see how it'll look, but I was hoping there might be someone out there who's more knowledgable than me who might be able to save me some time and just say whether it'll work or not. I also thought of taking the design elements from this dress and transfering it to another pattern but I'm not sure how I would do that. I have an A line skirt pattern but want the bodice to be cowled and I'm not sure how to do that if there's a seam just below the bust.

Mommy22boys

Asked by Mommy22boys at 8:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I was going to say "it'll hang differently" but since you're well aware of that, I'd say give it a try with the muslin. Since it's a dress, not pants, I don't think it hanging differently would cause problems with how it's pieced. Though I'd say A-line skirts tend to look kind of stiff if they're not bias-cut, but that also depends on the fabric you use for the final dress.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2009