My 27 month old daughter has been throwing tantrums. She's pulling her hair and biting herself. The dr. said this is normal to some extent, but if I were concerned about her hurting herself, they could refer us to a child psychologist. The thought of my daughter going to a psychologist at 2 breaks my heart. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you get through it?

Chandra_T

Asked by Chandra_T at 9:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried making sure that she was in a safe spot and just walking away from the tantrum? I've had issues with both of my kids now 4 and 2 with throwing tantrums, yelling screaming, slaming doors, stomping around, what ever they could think to do. It was suggested that they might be looking for attention and by walking away and not paying attention to the tantrum will make them realize that is not the way to get attention, but be sure to give lots of praise for good things, make a big deal out of good behaviour. Helping put away toys, bringing you something, anything. It really has helped with my girls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• If she is almost 2-1/2 & biting herself, that can be a tantrum & could be normal, however, it could also be severe stress and she really needs to find less harmful ways to cope. Self-hurting can mean that their inside stress is enough that hurting herself is actually soothing. We do foster care & have had a 34 m/o placement see a child therapist. They use "play therapy" to help them express themselves & learn coping skills. (Of course children in foster care have issues due to removal, strangers, new environments, etc.) The youngest that he worked with was 18 months. If I remember right, he was hurting himself. The therapist didn't know if he could help him or not since he was pre-verbal. Turns out that they don't need to be verbal, only have an ability to understand. The issues were resolved quickly, in a matter of weeks. I would do it if I were concerned. It can only help.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Make sure she's in a safe spot and then just ignore her. When she sees her tantrum doesn't get her any attention she will probably give up the habit.

This has worked on all 3 of my children so far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• wow this almost sounds like what my son is doing but i'm already stopping it now before it gets worse and he's only 16 months old. when he gets mad he trys to bang his head against things, he tries to bite anything and anyone whos dealing with him. he trying to yank on my shirt if i'm standing in reach of him when he's mad, he'll bite me if i dont let him bite my shirt, he even trys to scratch me. but his melt downs only last for about a couple of secounds. i just grab his hands and hold him there as i get to his level to speak to him, he'll try to head butt me so i normally hold him at a little distance. i tell him "no, you dont bite or head butt" but he trys to again, then he ends up in his bed which makes it worse but i walk away and keep an eye on him. he normally stops when i walk away because he knows i'm not lissoning to his temper tantrum. if i just say stop he'll keep doing it but laughs. i dont think its funny,
    arttiger86

Answer by arttiger86 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• doesnt make it any easier because i used to do the same thing as a toddler and my mom would spank me, and i stopped doing it before i turned 2. only thing i can think of is my son needs his own time out to calm down but why does your daughter act like that, maybe you should show her other ways to let out her anger because the last thing you want is for it to get so bad she bites herself so hard she bleeds. it just they dont know how to communicate what is wrong, they dont know how to handle their anger yet. just tell her maybe she can beat up a pillow if she gets mad instead of herself. or find something that will be fun for her to do and distract her from what is wrong so she'll stop. like coloring or playing with a fav. toy. playing in water outside, playing in the grass or watching a fav. show/ movie. might be why i've only seen my son mad only a handfull of times.
    arttiger86

Answer by arttiger86 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• my 2 year old throws fits and hits herself. i ignore it. put physically in the corner and walk away. as in OUT OF THE ROOM. she is doing this 100 percent for attention, a spanking, scolding anything. a therapist a two would be pointless, because their vocabulary isnt as well as ours. so you communicate by actions. give her 2 minutes in the corner and be out of the room. she will realize after a few times her violent actions arent working and she will stop. she will do what DOES work. tell her to use your words, dont talk to her until after her 2 minutes are up. hitting, biting, etc isnt the way to get anything. that she needs to use her words and tell mommy what she wants. most kids i know do resort to violence when they throw fits. you have to be in controll when she does this, realize she does this to get her way, give her tools to handle when she wants something. you cant controll her actions... you can controll yourself.
    nickolesmommy02

Answer by nickolesmommy02 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009