cleaning a piano

Does anyone know how to clean a piano? My mom's church was getting rid of several of their old pianos, so my mom just had to have one. Long story short, it's at my house now. This piano was in the Kindergarten room. The keys are pretty grubby from all those little fingers. How would I get those clean without destroying the piano. It does play just fine. I would just like to get the ickiness off of it if it's going to stay in my house.

CrazyMom5480

Asked by CrazyMom5480 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• if its wood you can use old english furniture polish of even pledge multisurface goo-gone is a great product for getting rid of the types of residues little sticky finger leave behind and I believe its safe for wood and then if need be you can vaccuum dust out of the inside just try not to touch the strings or you can use pressurized air to blast out dust (I would run a vaccum at the same time to try to cath the dust)
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have a black lacquer piano and the only thing that works on it is Scott's Liquid Gold Aerosol. The piano always comes out looking gorgeous.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Take baking soda (or Bon Ami cleanser if you like) mixed with a little water and use it with a damp soft cloth to clean the keys. It's safe to use whether the keys are actually ivory or not. You don't want to use a gritty cleanser or a cleanser with bleach or any cleaning agent other than calcium carbonate. The Bon Ami uses calcium carbonate and has been deemed safe to use. If the keys ARE ivory, when the keys are cleaned, dip another soft cloth in milk to get it damp, not dripping, and rub and buff the keys until they start to shine. The milk method won't work on plastic.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 6, 2009