Obama Sept 8 Speech

Ok, so I saw all of the backlash going on here about the speech that Obama will give on Sept 8 to students nationwide. I thought I'd check it out and I went to ed.gov to research it a bit. Apparently his speech isn't political, it's about working hard in school, getting a good education, and setting goals. Although I'm not an Obama supporter I don't really see anything wrong with this. They also said that Bush did a similar thing back in 1991. Plus, they aren't making this mandatory-it's totally optional. I would be mad if he were going to "brainwash" my child but it looks like he'll be talking about generic things (the dept. of education came up with this idea, not him). Again, I am not an Obama supporter but I would have no problem with my child watching this-I'm secure in what I'll teach my own child and I trust that it would be hard for Obama to impact them negatively. So I guess my question is-why all the fuss?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Its republican silly season. Both Bush and Reagan spoke to children.
    Obama won't be in office when these children are able to vote. Its not a political event.
    Anyone who is afraid a speech on the importance of education, will make a negative impact of their child, lack confidence in their parenting.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 4:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• BEATS ME!!AGAINST OBAMA CLAN HAS SOMETHING ELSE TO PICK OUT, EVERYTHING HE DOES OR SAYS IS CRITICIZE, TO THE POINT OF HYSTERIA.

Answer by older at 9:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Because the parents want to control how the kids think about the politics. My husband is a Repulican and he refuses to keep our son out of school for something like this. I refuse to because I work for the district and it sets a bad example. I was watching CNN and they listed the states and most states are leaving up to the teachers and districts.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Our school district is upset because it's live...they are going to tape it and have it avaliable to teachers to show. They have a policy about live T.V.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:54 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Because they are obsessed with their ideas of their precious babies being 'indoctrinated' with 'socialism' when the only real threat to their child is their poor child's own parents indoctrinating them with this fear obsessed right-wing bullshit.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• ....Holy run-on sentence. Maybe I need to make a flowchart.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Exactly what Yoshi said!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I do not support Obama either, I agree with your views to the T. I think some parents are scared he is going to push his values and beliefs on thier children.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 10:03 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• " I think some parents are scared he is going to push his values and beliefs on thier children. "

well, when you don't agree with HIS values and beliefs, then yes, it is a problem. Did anyone actually look at the curriculum that was given to the schools to be taught. I've seen it. It is not about education. It's about the Obama. He's just trying to "educate" the kids about himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It's mostly because there's a certain contingent who are determined to hate everything that Obama does. He could say he's hungry or has an itchy nose and they'd jump up and say he's wrong.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2009