history of your church?

I learned that my great great great grandmother was one of 8 original families in our Catholic Church. I recently left that church because we moved. The church has helped the community for over a 100 years. It got me thinking about the history of Churches and how they helped shape our country.

How long has your church been around? How have/do they help the community.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my religion has been around almost as long as the catholic religion protestents religion was started because the catholic religion got so far away from the bible and its teachings and catholics started putting pagan practices into their religion a lot of protestents were killed by catholics for leaving the catholic religion also hitler was a catholic and the catholic religion never disowned him in fact the pope embraced him when i read hitler life story it showed the pope hugging and kissing hitler.
    georgia362

Answer by georgia362 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• LOL always someone ready to put down the Catholic faith. It is quite funny by this time. LOL

laughing

peace be with you

nun

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• The church in my dh's home town, which is where we were married, is 803 years old.

http://www.stlaurencebidford.org.uk/history.htm

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My church was founded in 1725. They originally met in tents until a church building could be made. Through the church, a halfway house has been established as well as a prestigious University. My church has over 20 other ministries that serve nationally and internationally. And no, we're not a mega church :-) We have about 150-300 attendees (not sure how many members).

Georgia, yes, there was a brutal history (although I disagree with a few of the individual details of what you reccounted) done at the hands of the union of church and state, hundreds of years ago. However, Catholics and Protestants today are able to come together and celebrate their commonalities. We shouldn't keep from talking about history but it's nice to try do it in a way that doesn't make Catholics feel "bashed" or that they have to defend themselves. What happened so long ago is not anything anyone today is at fault for or can help :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:01 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My church is 16 years old. My pastor is from Alaska but felt called to Michigan to start a church here. (He also went to U of M and so he already knew some people from here and had married a woman from here) Several of thier friends from college also felt called back to Michigan to the same area and together they started a very small church. On the church's first "birthday" they made a huge deal and called and invited hundreds of people. I'm not sure how many showed up, but I believe two of the people who showed up that day still go today. My husband is one of them. The grandmother of one of my best friends is the other. A few years ago my pastor wrote a book for our church about our church's history and all of the amazing answers to prayer along the way. I joined 11 years ago because of a girl at school.
    if anyone is interested (probably not) we have a website too: www.hopechurch.info
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Mine is 8 yrs old. We use another church's building until we get our own. They are seriously looking right now and I am so excited, It will be a church and school of ministry training center and probably a 24/7 prayer house! A place for the youth to gather as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009