Catholics(just let the Catholics ask if you don't know the answer)

IF Y OU ARE CATHOLIC, a practicing Catholic I might add, would you mind telling me the purpose of sitting, standing and kneeling? Is it optional?

There is a family that refuses to kneel and seems to always find my family and sit in front of us. I have started getting to church 30 minutes early just to make sure I sit in the very front pew.

Getting there early kind of work, but now they insist on sitting right next to us. Last week they climbed over a man to sit next to us and the man had to move because there was not enough room. One member of the family does not go to communion. When I came back from communion he refused to scooch his knees back so I could get past him. I ended up smacking my legs against his knees. Why bother going to church if you are not going to participate? Shouldn't they be kneeling with us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Perhaps the family has knee problems. My parents aren't Catholic (I converted just before marrying my Catholic husband), but I know my dad wouldn't be able to kneel. There are tons of things that you are supposed to do in church that I see many not doing. Definitely becoming a very lax environment and that's sad. The guy who doesn't accept communion probably isn't Catholic and is just going with his Catholic wife or something like that.

I would be mostly bugged by them following you. Have you made it a point to go to completely different areas of the church to sit? I would make it a game and sit clear at the other side in front one week and then in back the next week and then in the middle the next week and just keep moving around. If they are following you after that, then I would turn to them and just say "I've been noticing you're following me...why?"
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i dont know. im not catholic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Why is this family following yours around the church pews is what I'd be wanting to know!???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• The one man has probably never is Holy Communion. As for the other family members, They could just hate kneeling. I do. But I do it anyway, even though it kills my knees. I think all the standing and kneeling is a form of respect. I honestly never asked.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Sorry....it's suppose to say "has never done his holy communion".
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

So do i! SO DO I! It got to the point that I won't leave until they leave just case they try to stalk me home. I have even gone to a different mass to get away from them. The problem is my kids are older and Saturday Mass isn't always an option with their activities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• MommyLee08, I dont think he is even Catholic, but I see no reason why he can't move his knees in so I can get by.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I never asked. I believe it's just a form of respect too. It is optional especially for those who are disabled. With my last pregnancy I did not kneel, I just sat. I couldn't with my big belly. As for the people following you, that is creepy. I would just keep trying to avoid them by moving around the church pews each week.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thats probably the reason, he's not Catholic, so he can't do communion at all. The knee thing is just because he's rude. If it were me, I'd just keep bumping him until he got the picture.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Somehow I skipped the communion part. Yes he probably is not a Catholic but they are welcome.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2009