How can i get my teething son to eat?

My son has his 2 bottom teeth above the gums, and is about 6 months old. Sometimes he eats but mostly it is a fight just to get him to eat 5 oz of formula. When he normaly eats about 9 -10. I've put applesauce in the bottles to get him more interested, i give him oragel when he's done eating and have been giving him tylenol for the pain. If i feed him with a spoon 1/4 of the time he keeps it in his mouth but mostly just spits it out! Any suggestions would be a deffinate help.
Thanks

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal when you are in pain to have a decrease in appetite. I wouldn't worry about food at all while he's teething. As long as he doesn't get dehydrated, he'll be fine. He needs the formula for the nutrition. There's nothing in the food that he can't do without now. Ours took formula cold straight out of the fridge or if just made, with ice. Yes, the sucking puts pressure on the gums, so he may not want as much, but if he is of normal weight, it won't matter if he drops intake considerably for a few days. Also, give him cold/frozen wash rags to chew on, it may help the teeth cut thru. They actually have to "cut" thru the gums, which is why it's so painful. BTW, oragel can help or sometimes burn depending on which part of the teething process he's in. Talk to your dr about giving him Infant Tylenol/Motrin for pain. If you can take the edge off with the medicine, then he may be able to drink more. I hope he gets better!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My son has trouble eating while teething. The pressure from sucking on the bottle causes the gums to hurt which is why your lo isn't wanting to eat. Just keep trying. Eventually he will eat when he is hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Try making the bottle a little on the cold side. he may take to it better. also with my dd I bought a food mesh thing from walmart and put stuff like frozen peaches and what not in it. Sense he already has had apples try frozen apple slices. it will numb the gums. you could also try a vibrating teething ring. The sooner those teeth pop through, even the slightest, he will start eating better. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2009