Peanut my Yorkie puppy. ????'s about the breed

I have a few questions about this breed. I got him becuase he is small and I can take him everywhere. All my kids are in school so no one is home and I need company. He is sweet and thinks I am his mom. He folllows me everywhere. LOL.My questions are:
1) do I need to shave the tips of his ears to help them stand up? Is it necessary.
2) When do their ears stand up?
3)When does their "hair" start getting longer?
4)Will his "hair" get longer since he is male?
He is 2 months old. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Ibelongtojesus

Asked by Ibelongtojesus at 10:07 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pets

• The ear will stay up between 4-6 months... Before that they can go up and then fall back down.
    Have him professionally groomed every 3-4 months. Don't do it yourself unless you know how to groom or you will make a mess... I know - I have made my share of MESSES..
    Make sure you are feeding a good quality puppy food and supplement/ pup vitamin:
    see here for help with foods:
    BEST wishes
    Wellness Pup food and Merrick
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/Best-food-Bulldog-puppy.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 11:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 1) do I need to shave the tips of his ears to help them stand up? Is it necessary. NO
    2) When do their ears stand up? If they are not up by 6 months, they won't be
    3)When does their "hair" start getting longer? It grows just like human hair, so.......
    4)Will his "hair" get longer since he is male? The sex of the dog has nothing to do with it.

Do you know anything about the Yorkie breed? Did you get a silky? They are prone to being constant high-pitched barkers and nippers. They have a big superiority complex and tend to not get along well with small children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yep a silky. But I have kids and gets along fine with them. I have no worries. I got him when he was 6 weeks old. Which is a huge advantage for us. We all love him to death. The kids think it si funny to walk him since he is so small!! Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about the ear thing. So getting the ears shaved won't really make a differance? SOme people say the fur weighs them down. I am not really concerned since both his parents ears stood up. I just do not want him looking "neglected" if hi sears do not. They are about halfway up now though.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• nuvetmarie: every 3 - 4 months really is NOT enough, unless he is shaved. I'm a grooming assistant and along with Shih Tzus, Yorkies are some of the worst when it comes to mats. If you don't have the time to brush him EVERY day, you need to take him in at least once a month for grooming. GL!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• All the info you need....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/yorkshireterrier.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Terrier

Please do your research, these dogs are so often not taken care of properly because it is so easy to think that because they are simple small dogs they dont need much care.
    Good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:28 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• OK well I feed him iams immune . SO he has the best that I can buy for around here. Heck the breeder was feeding him Walmart food. I knwo to brush his hair daily. I do and I bath him 1-2 times a week. I also know to feed him hard food not soft. SO I did my research already I was just concerned about the ears. Anyways thanks for all the great info. If anyone actually owns one and can give some pointers I would appreciate it.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2009