I want my stuff back! But...

2 months ago me and the kids moved back home with my parents, my husband hurt one of the kids so I just took them and left. I also left behind all of my belongings, and EVERYTHING in that apartment I paid for, the furniture, tv, all of it. All I took was the necessary day to day stuff. Well he stayed in the apt and has been living off of my shit. His fam lives near mine and he's down this weekend for labor day, the apt is 6 hours away. I want nothing more than to go up this weekend while he's gone and clean it out, just the look on his face even though I wouldn't see it would satisfy me. BUT, I can't find anyone to go up and help me last minute. I'm 5 months prego or I would do the job myself! It would also be hard finding a U-haul on such short notice. ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He is legally able to live out of the barracks because he is still legally married, he can still live in the apartment. Now, I really hope that you are getting your portion of the BAH from him since the day you left the residence. He is required by army regulation to give you a certain amount until the divorce is final. Check with JAG to get the correct amount and call his unit, and IG if you have to to get it.

As far as the laws, it depends on the state and military laws as for if you are entitled to your posessions after a certain period of time. However, depending on his rank, it may be in his best interest to give it to you since he won't be allowed to live out of the barracks after the divorce is final, if he's lower enlisted. I would call JAG to see what you are entitled to. And maybe work with his unit to get him away from the apartment so you can get what you need.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• That sucks! If I was there, I'd help. The look would be priceless. Darn.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You may have have a problem and can even get in trouble. You left it 2 months ago. The courts see that as abandonment of property. Don't just go over there when he isn't home. You are no longer a tenant even if you have a key. That is breaking and entering. Call him and work it out or even call the non emergency police to be there when picking your things up. There really is no excuse why you don't have those things. You had up to 30 days to retrieve your things.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Can you drive there and get any of the little smaller things? Dvd's, toys, dvd player, jewelry, things like that?
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• He's your husband, this stuff belongs to him as much as it does to you. If I were in this situation and my husband took all the stuff out of our house, I would obviously assume it's stolen. So I would turn it into the insurance company and get a ton of money to buy all new stuff. Yeah, that will really show him who's boss!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• OP-He's in the army so he should've moved back to the barracks when I left. Him staying in it is illegal too, because CPS is involved and if I didn't have family to go to he'd have to be the one to leave since he's a military service member. So I could go back up with the kids tomorrow and tell him I'm moving back and he'd have to leave or he'd go straight to jail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Anonymous above has a good point. sounds like you need a lawyer to make sure you get what you need and deserve without getting yourself into trouble. When the time comes to get your stuff a sherrif can be there for protection.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 10:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• OK, so 2 wrong make a right? You sound like a real winner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• CPS is involved and if I didn't have family to go to he'd have to be the one to leave since he's a military service member. So I could go back up with the kids tomorrow and tell him I'm moving back and he'd have to leave or he'd go straight to jail.

I find that highly unlikely since YOU moved out. It would be one thing if he left you and then tried to get the house or if he kicked you out and wouldn't let you back in, but you left on your own accord. You sound like a very bitter person and quite honestly, I'm feeling sorry for this guy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• And it doesn't count as "his stuff" when I owned it before we were married. Why would you feel sorry for someone who abused a child? I feel sorry for you anon:30. It is true, anytime there is domestic violence off post the service member has to leave because they always have the barracks to go to. I moved back home because I'm getting divorced and have no reason to live up there anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2009