Are you so perfect that you never yell at your toddler?

I yelled at my 16 month old bc he broke a plate this morning. I know I shouldn't have yelled but it's been a rough morning. He had been whiney all morning which kills me! Anyways, my DH told me I am just like my sister who abuses her DS. Everything thing he does she is yelling and smacking him. So now I feel like a terrible mother, I don't want to be like that. But doesn't everyone lose it sometimes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes we all do and those you say they haven't are lying.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Everyone loses it sometimes and yelling isn't that bad as long as it's not a everyday thing.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• its normal. dont sweat it. my sister, whose 20 month old is in foster care, said I was a horrible mom bc i yell at my daughter. She oviously doesnt know the stress of raising a toddler, and some times its the only way they will listen.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Uhm yep, Im guilty of that. I don't mean to and don't think about it at the moment but I do it. So yea I have yelled at my dd when she was a tot and it didn't "scar" her, like I have heard. I think everyone has done it. Even the most perfect mos out there!
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 10:52 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Um...after getting out of bed 20 times and pooing over and over again just for attention (yep, she has this skill) and smearing it on the walls and all over her body yeah, I YELL! I am a bad mother I know, but we ALL have a breaking point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I won't say i've NEVER yelled at my toddler, but i've never raised my voice because of something she's done. She's only 13 months old, so she's still a baby. However, if she bites, pinches, or hits, I say in a loud, stern voice "Not nice!" then in a soft, loving voice, I tell her to give nice touches and show her how. And i'm sure my voice was raised higher than I thought when she was about to take off a step (she just started walking and would have ended up eating pavement). But it was a reactionary thing to stop her from getting hurt.

You just have to remember they're still learning, and developing. If something gets broken on accident, yelling isn't necessary. If they do it intentionally, yes, all mom's have that breaking point. And this has nothing to do with being a "perfect" mother. It's about reinforcing positive behavior in your child. Can't do that when you're yelling at them.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Guilty with a captial G!

and the way you wrote the title made me snort my coffee just a bit. LMAO

just wait til your precious little 13month old baby learns to talk and whine...then you can come answer this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You're normal. I occasionally raise my voice at my 14 month old. We're human and we make mistakes.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It's hard not to. They know how to push your buttons and are getting to the age where they are testing boundries. You're going to lose your cool now and then. And so will hubby and your cihld, too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I can't believe there are moms that never yell to their children, well it also depend on what you say when you're yelling, mine is generally a "NOOOO" of disperation when she has just did something very bad or a "BASTA" (it means "stop it now" in italian). Do not listen the other "perfect" and liar moms. Anyway I would talk with your DH and explain him that he hurted you, when I'm stressed my husband generally help me to calm down, he doesn't judje me, but he's 3 or 4 days off from work for week so he knows what means stay with a baby 24h/24.
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2009