Spanking or no spanking?

My daughter is only 12 months old so I'm not in the dicipline stage yet but when she is old enough I would like to use time outs instead of hitting. My mom use to use belts and boards and it was really traumitizing. What kind of dicipline strategizes do you use?

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I tell my daughter no. If she continues she gets moved to something else, and if she still continues she gets a time out. my daughter is 14 months.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:35 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Sometimes my girls will get a swat on the butt with the hand only. It kindof depends on the child. The youngest would rather get a swat and go on, she doesn't learn anything, but putting her in time out away from everyone is harder for her and she learns more. The older one is usually pretty good but being older she tends to learn more from having things taken away. Both of them will only get a swat as a last resort.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I do believe in spanking and then again I don't, its an iffy thing for me. I have done the smacking hand thing when my dd was little. But over all I didn't and don't spank. I would use time outs, and then take away outside time. When she got older, she still had time out or restrictions and then I would take away certain toys. As a teen (she's 13), she gets restriction, and her "needs" (phone, stereo, tv,computer time,etc) taken away. So far they have worked, I rarely get any lip from her and she is hardly ever on punishment. The key is, whatever you choose, you have to be firm and stick to it. Punish your kid one minute and then baby them the next...no good, does nothing for either of you.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 10:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2009