Is there an age when someone is ready to take on learning their own religion?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 10:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's more a level of maturity. I started when I was 5 but until then I didn't really know anything about religion at all. I think kids who grow up without religious influence are more likely to choose their own religion sooner.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think that individual brains are wired differently. There was a study done to show that people with heavy religious belief have different gene make up than those who tend not to follow religion. I think it is all in your head.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• There's no certain age, but the sooner u start the better it is for u. There's nothing wrong with learning about religion and its belief. I didnt know much about my religion, not till recently. Reseraching, reading and so on. But best of luck n God Bless
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 11:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It does vary by child, but most consider puberty to be about the right time for people to start to take on spiritual responsibility for themseleves. Churches who don't baptize as children will often start to accept kids around 13(ish) for the program they require before baptism, for example.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• On a side note, is it really "their own religion" if they haven't much started learning about it yet? Just something that got me thinking...
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Nah, it all depends on the individual. I wasn't ready to seek out my beliefs until I was almost 20. My fiance questioned things around age 11.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree with RhondaVeggie. I think that when you grow up with out any set religion in your household that you tend to start to explore religion at an early age and in turn find the path that is best suited to you at an earlier rate. Or atleast that is what happened in my case.
    Lacymarie

Answer by Lacymarie at 12:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i think its all maturity & level of exposure to religions. my DH's family bounced around churches so he had a very healthy idea of his faith before i met him. however my family went to one church denomination & only one to the level that it was hard to really question anything until i got out of my parents house (18).

but if you're asking what age most ppl start really learning about the faith they are being raised in (and not just the stories) i would go with 10-15 depending on the kid.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• A life time.. you're never done learning about even your own religion. You can choose a religion at a young age.. however not everyone sticks with the religion they first sought and believed in. People change and grow and learn, as does their beliefs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• At least high school or college...no sooner.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009