Runny Nose and Cough

My son is 8 months old. It has been raining in OK for about 4 days on and off. I really think my son has allergies but he just started daycare on Monday so he may have a cold. Can you give more than just saline drops in the nose and suck it out yet to help?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could use a cool-mist humidifier at night for the cough, but no cough meds. My son gets the Croup during the fall and winter and a sitting in a steamy bathroom with the door shut helps the cough as well. We sit in there for about 10min. or so. Saline is great for the nose too.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Saline drops for the nose, steamy bath before bed, Johnson's Vapor Bath is good for opening up nostrils. Put his crib mattress on an angle (pillow UNDER one side of the mattress) - sleeping on an angle helps facilitate drainage and breathing during the night. A little motrin will help reduce swelling in the nasal passages and ear passages and may help keep things moving. That is about all you can do that is recommended. My doctor gave the okay for 1/4 teaspoon of benadryl before bed around 9 mo. but most studies show that it doesn't actually work in children under 2 and that you're really just drugging them for no reason. (it can even make some babies hyper)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009