Dumb question but...How do you volunteer at your kids school?

Daughter is getting ready to start K and I would really like to volunteer on a frequent basis- but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Is there a sign up list through the PTA? Should I directly approach her teacher or the librarian? I hear people talk about spending a lot of time volunteering at their childrens school, but I'm not sure how they arrange it. My sister has a child in 5th grade and every year she has approached his teacher offering to volunteer, but has rarely been taken up on the offer. Those of you who frequently volunteer - do you find that the school/teacher is receptive towards it, and all you have to do is ask or have you had to somewhat "push" your way in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I volunteer once a week & have since my 13 year old started. Ask secretary or PTA.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I helped some teachers- I just asked if they wanted help and what I could do. Some referred me to the room "mother"- a volunteer mom in charge of organizing help for the teacher. When I volunteered in the library I asked the librarian and set up a schedule for when I would come in. I'd say the best thing to do would be to call the school and ask. You could explain why you are calling, and they should refer you to the right person to answer your questions.

Answer by Bmat at 10:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• When my children first started school, he kids would bring home forms to sign and one of them was a volunteer sign up sheet. I also told the teachers and staff the I would be available for anything they needed help with. I was there just about every day so I knew what was going on before the other parents who didn't help out did. We had a tight knit of volunteer parents and we wound up raising 45,000$ in the 8 years of our children's elementary school lives. Where we live high school starts in grade 7, so all of the original volunteers kids have all gone off to high school now, and there is new blood to replace us. Just let your child's teacher know that you are ready and willing to help out for anything she/he needs you for. Let her see you and know who you are. Help out in the library or office if they need help. That way the staff will know you are serious about volunteering in the school.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I volunteer all the time. Part of it is living next door to the school, and part of it is the opportunities that our school district offers. We have a volunteer center where parents can work on projects for teachers like making copies or cutting/stapling/etc. We have PTA events (family and fundraising) and we have opportunities in the classroom (Room Mothers), chaperones for field trips. In addition- for kindergarten- teachers have parents come in and volunteer to run learning centers once or twice a week.

If you haven't gotten a volunteer sheet. I would check in the office, or with the President of the PTA/PTO. If you don't have one of those organizations- I'd write a note or call the classroom teacher and offer to help out if there is anything that she/he needs.

I think that schools are Always looking for helping hands!

momoftwokidlets

Answer by momoftwokidlets at 11:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• we get a signup notice from each individual class at the beginning of the year, and on the field trip notices they ask if you can.

or just talk to the teacher herself.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:38 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My sons's school sends home a form to fill out to voluneteer. If you return the form they e-mail you in regards to the dates you've selected.

NEW volunteers need to fill out the form in the main office and fill out a form for a background check, and must present a photo ID. The background check is required on all school volunteers in our state and they are good for 3 years.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 12:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• When I taught my class always had a room mother. I let the room mother know when and how I needed help and she sent home a letter about it and organized it. She then just let me know the schedule if people were coming in or how people would help. I had parents help with centers, cut out letters for the bulletin board, read books, all kinds of things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I taught up until this year so I knew how hard it was to get the little stuff done so I could concentrate on curriculum. So, this year I emailed my daughter's teacher and asked if I could come in and make copies, laminate, rip pages from work books, whatever.... She took me up on it. Now I'm a reading mom, too. While I was there the first day, I stopped by the library and asked if they wanted help reshelving books. They took me up on the offer, too. I go in once or twice a week now for an hour or two to help out.
    mnrsmom900

Answer by mnrsmom900 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• it depends on the school. Often it goes through the PTA but you can also approach the teacher / school directly if you don't recieve something about volunteering after the first few days. I love mnrsmom900 answer too.
    At my son't school they asked for a room mom, readers, lunch mom's etc. I teach HS so I can't but I wish I could. I also noticed some mom's stay and have breakfast with their kids which just seems like such a great way to start the day and network.... I was so jealous.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I asked the teacher directly, I also volunteered in the library for years. You can also check with the PTA about actvities that they need volunteers for. You can even ask the office if they need help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2009