What is your definition of 'typical Liberal'?

I for one am getting sick of being lumped together, packaged and presented with this 'typical liberal' tag...

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then … we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

- John F. Kennedy, September 14, 1960

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A liberal believes in "All men are created equal "
    A liberal believes in "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" for all
    A liberal believes in " liberty and justice for all"
    A liberal believes that the greatest country in the world should act like it.
    A liberal believes that racism, hate, ignorance, and social castes have no place in our society.
    rubymoon57

Answer by rubymoon57 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Right on!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Cult followers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I for one am getting sick of being lumped together, packaged and presented with this 'typical liberal' tag...

as many of us are tired of being lumped together with "conservative nut jobs!" when you speak using tired, overused, talking points, or rehash the arguments of the liberal left talking heads, you appropriately get labeled as a typical liberal. when you use your own words and express yourself intelligently, avoid the use of "your just racist" and avoid sounding like you are parroting back a stumping speech/promise given by barry or one of his minions, then you might gain some credibility, until then....you're just a typical liberal.
    Anonymous

• I think the Conservatives don't even know the true meaning of Liberalism and are only too happy to go on believing their twisted version because it validates their unrelenting bitterness, anger and hatred.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have plenty of compassion for my fellow citizens when he/she is down and out, but will not continue to support lifelong "down and outers" which is what this country has become. teen girls are having babies and getting on welfare before they have even tried to make something of themselves. they are failing left and right out of the starting gate!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Someone who'd rather give a man to fish than teach them to fish as long as it meant the man was taken care of. Short term solutions with no consideration of long term repercussions.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• liberalism is what obama and pelosi have in mind for this country. anyone who supports this, is not someone i would ever want to be associated with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Hmmm... I tend to see more re-hashing of propaganda and parroting of lies from the other side of the fence, but I'm not hear to pointing fingers, I'm here to make sure you people realize that not every Liberal is the same, just like not every conservative is the same and perhaps if we all keep that in the back of our minds, things will not get so damn violent.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm here to make sure you people realize that not every Liberal is the same, just like not every conservative is the same

Liberal and conservative aren't about the end goal, it's about the preferred method of getting there, and yes, in that respect, they are the same. If you don't believe the government is duty bound to fix all the social problems in the country whether they can afford it or not, regardless of what that problem is, you should reconsider your personal label, because that is what a liberal is - someone who thinks everyone should be cared for and provided for, while conservatives feel people should care for and provide for themselves. All the other crap, abortion, gay marriage, religious bs, is things the parties use to recruit more voters. Half of the reps don't even agree with the "official party stance" in either party. At their core it is very basic. The provide or you provide.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:06 AM on Sep. 5, 2009