what is the difference between hypoglycemia and diabetes?

I thought one was low blood sugar, and the other was too high? But when I try to read up on it, I keep reading about hypoglycemia turning into diabetes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Health

• Hypoglycemia is a condition where your blood sugar is too low because your pancreas produces too much insulin "eating up" all the sugar in your blood stream. If you do not watch how you eat and control your hypoglycemia you could eventually become diabetic because your pancreas will be overworked and eventually fail to produce insulin at all. When your pancreas no long produces insulin you become diabetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Hypoglycemics are at an increased risk of developing diabetes (hyperglycemia) later. I am extremely hypoglycemic and b/c of family history I am at an even greater risk of developing diabetes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:56 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Hypoglycemia is when your body reacts after you eat and lowers your blood sugar too much, your blood sugar is often too low. Just make sure to eat small meals throughout the day; don't go more than 6 hours without food. They are suggested to carry hard candy with them in case of emergencies.

Diabetes is the opposite, when your body doesn't lower blood sugar adequately.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 12:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009