How do I get my 16 month old to stop whining?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• duct tape
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It's a long training process. My firstborn and now my 11 month old daughter started whining early. I would tell them to stop complaining and then as soon as they stopped (at a young age you will probably have to distract them) I would pick them up or do what they wanted and then thank them for not whining/complaining. My one year my firstborn knew what I meant when I told him to stop. My daughter is still learning! As they get older and know what I mean when I tell them to stop, they don't get what they want until they ask nicely. Sometimes they still don't get it! if they are whining because of a sibling picking on them, I don't intervene until they try to deal with it properly.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Oops - BY one year old my firstborn knew what I meant.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Tell them that you aren't going to listen to whining and if they want your attention to TALK to you and walk away til they are ready to TALK.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have 4 children 14, 10, 7, 5...

If they were whining for a glass of juice I would ignore them until they asked for it in a more pleasant way and then I would thank them for asking in such a nice way. I did the same for when they wanted to be picked up or things like that. If they are sick all bets are off. lol
    If it you start early enough the whining stage doesn't last for very long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I tell my kids, what are you saying, I don't understand whining? I start saying that at a young age, they learn what I mean and they correct themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• ignore it. And give lots of attention and hugs when she's not!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009