How many after-school activities do you think are appropriate for a child?

I'm trying not to overbook- but to allow my children to enjoy their activities and make friends.

momoftwokidlets

Asked by momoftwokidlets at 11:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• ummmmmm hmmmmmm 5?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It depends on how old they are. No more than 2 hours a week for elementary school ages kids. If they're older or younger you can add and subtract appropriately. Also make sure that you have your children in things that they really like so they'll stick with them and feel more fulfilled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• each of mine do 2 activities.

8year old does brownies(tuesday) and piano(saturday)
    6year old does sparks (tuesday) and trampoline&tumbling (wednesday)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:33 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• A busy kid is a good kid...in my humble opinion. I'd say, as many as you and they can handle.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• We were allowed one sport at a time (so one per season) and then we always had church activities and then perhaps music lessons. So I guess that is kind of three.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I usually had a sport, music lessons, and church clubs. Remember to allow for practice times as you plan. Most music teachers want at least 1/2 hour of practice every day & many church clubs (AWANA or Missionettes or similar) require a lot of memorization to receive awards. If your child has homework & a couple hours of sports every day after school plus music practice & club work, it doesn't leave a lot of down time.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I feel 2 or 3 but school work come 1st in our house...Everything else is what time we have after that...
    mommyoftwo395

Answer by mommyoftwo395 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I would say 2 activities per child. Otherwise you will never be home. My son plays baseball and between games and practice, we are out 4-5 days a week. Kids need downtime too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think that it depends on the age of the child. My sons (both are seniors) do quite a few things but it's not all at once. Both play football which means practices from June-October and games every Fri. from late Aug. through mid-October. My one son also does cross country and drama in the Fall & both go on during football season. Cross country has meets on Saturdays and drama practices start right before the end of football season and are from 7-9 (football is until 6). They both do track which is practices until 6 from Feb.-May & meets 2-3 times a week and then my one son does drama again in the Spring which is the same schedule as the Fall and it starts in Feb. and goes until early April. They are home by 6-9 most school nights and always eat supper with us. On weekends and breaks from school they work. They stay busy.We eat as a family every single night, no exceptions, even if we eat at 9:30p or 11p.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Mine are allowed one at a time. We have 3 children in activities that keep us busy 6 days a week. I cannot handle more than that.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 8:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009