Scheduled for gastric bypass have a few question

My name is Carol and I;m scheduled for gastric bypass surgery at the end of this month but am a lil worrried. I mean I'm so tired of having this excessive weight on me and I get alot of headaches and I'm having knee problems the main reason I decided to get the surgey. I know there will be alot of changes in my life, life style in general but I guess what I want to know is that after awhile after my surgery am I going to be able to have some things that I enjoy on occasions. Like a glass of wine, maybe a very tiny pastery if the occasion calls for it, meat? I've actually been hearing so many things and I don't know if it's fact or fiction. I also here alot about dumping syndrome.

prplphnx

Asked by prplphnx at 11:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• if you are unsure about it then do not do it. this is something you should have thought about before thinking about getting it done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• These are all questions you should discuss with your doctor BEFORE you schedule a surgery.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Lose it the REAL way!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You do need to discuss all this with your Dr. and maybe go to a gastic bypass support group online and ask too. But, it is my understanding that you will eventually get to eat most of the things that you used to. A friend of mine actually had bypass this year and I think the only things she has to avoid or watch are white bread and white pasta. ( She's post op about 7 months I believe)

I've heard horror stories. Of course most of them are from people who had the surgery 25 years ago. I know that things have improved by leaps and bounds since then. I think things also depnd on the individual. My friend has issues with the bread and pasta, some may have trouble with meat, others sugar.

I do know that you can gain all your weight back if you don't do a mental change, a lifestyle change. You'll need to exercise and if you have emotional food hang ups now, you'll still have them after.

I wish you the best!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009