Care package to Iraq

I started going on dates with a very cute and fun guy and not 3 weeks into all this fun he gets sent to Iraq. He only got 1 week notice. Neither one of us was very serious into this before he left. I want to send him a care package, but what do you send? I know what cookies he likes, but will they go bad on the way there? Is it assuming to much to put a few pictures of me in with the goodies? What about tang or other drink mixes? What does every one else send over?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Cards are good, if you know of anything he might need, Candy or something that WON"T melt. Maybe if he really likes dice games or dominoes that have a case?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I answered in the other category you have this posted in but anon has a good point, games would be good, maybe a deck of cards. All sorts of food that won't melt. Those guys eat like horses. I kept sending beef jerky and snacks to my dd's bf over there and as skinny as the guy is he ate like crazy. What he didn't like he gave away so nothing will go to waste. Not sure if he likes to read but lots of guys like to read, maybe magazines but keep them clean!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• # The classics are always a safe bet: baked goods, snack foods, drink mixes, or anything that can keep well without refrigeration. This includes Lunchables, tuna salad kits… basically any alternative to Army food. Try to get bulk sizes (Sam’s Club!) if possible so he/she can share and trade with others.
    # Find out if they have a coffee maker, and if not send instant. Even if your soldier doesn’t like coffee much, a) he’ll probably learn to! and b) he’ll make great friends with the other coffee drinkers in his platoon!
    # Toiletries aren’t too hard to come by anymore, but if there is a particular brand he uses that’s not available over there, send that his way.
    That is what I sent to my hubby when he was gone. He liked that and as for the picture idea maybe you should send him some he may like it. Ppl do get lonely over there an most love to know there is someone back home that cares about them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• # Phone cards, envelopes, and postage stamps are a great way to help your soldier keep in touch. Find out first what type of phones are available; some use regular phone cards while others have to use a certain provider’s card.
    # Most base camps now have electricity, and so many soldiers have portable DVD players (or a laptop with a DVD player), CD/MP3 players (ipods), GameBoys, and the like. So send new DVDs, CDs, games, etc. that your soldier may like to help break the monotony. AA batteries also help a lot for these small personal devices.
    # Magazines are always good; send ones you know he likes (or has similar interests to) or just general magazines that people his age enjoy. They’ll all get passed around to everyone else anyway. If there’s a website he visits regularly (such as news, sports, etc.) then print out some articles and include those too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Send items such as sour patch kids, hard candies, hard cookies, chips, crackers, beef jerky and other dried meats and hard cheeses that do not require refrigeration. Send novelty items. Soldiers get a kick out of little items that remind them of home. For example a holiday item like a 4th of July sparkle garland with a flag from the dollar store or miniature Christmas tree or a pumpkin notepad. Any holiday item can be chosen for that period. Send items to fill in time like a book, or a crossword puzzle book, or word find or soduku puzzles, or a drawing pad. Do not forget to include a pen or drawing pencils. That is some ideas that i hope helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• How long does it take for them to get the packages? If I was going to send him a holween thing should I send it now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• you can send baked goods, make sure they are all the way cooled. wrap them in wax paper, then foil, then a ziploc. Unless you have one of those things that removes the excess air. it takes a week for the boxes I send to get to Afghanistan. I don't know how long to Iraq. If he is in an actual building, you can send plug in's. their rooms start to smell. Drink mixes are good. It's all hard to say, they have access to lots of stuff over there. They have px's. Magazines are good to send, especailly if he likes some that aren't usually at the PX. Don't send chocolate, it will melt. But hard candies are good, chips, twizzlers, stuff like that. As far as stamps go, they don't have to use them I don't think.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009