Do People Really Think This? (about Catholics)

Do people really think that Catholics are miserable and don't find Joy in Christ? Do people really think that Catholics are not "supposed" to read the Bible? Are there really still people who don't think that Catholics are Christians? Where do these ideas come from?

I knew there were a lot of misunderstandings about the Catholic religion but some of the responses and questions I have seen lately are really surprising to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I was raised a Catholic and I dont agree with most of the things they do. I dont think they are not Christians, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Um, I'm not Catholic, but I never didn't consider them not Christians, I thought they were supposed to read the bible, As for finding joy in Christ, I dunno, I suppose they would seeing as how though they are Christians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I can only speak for myself. As a former Catholic, I was not encouraged to read the Bible. I was actively discouraged from reading the Bible and asking questions. There was an atmosphere of "just listen and don't talk, the priest will tell you what you need to know." Some Catholics are miserable (I have many examples in my own family filled with the old Catholic guilt). But there are just as many who are quite happy and joyful. Catholics are Christians, end of discussion. Catholicism is a branch of Christianity just as Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian, etc. Where do the ideas come from? Peoples personal experiences and what they have seen or witnessed. Some only through others (hearsay). But for every opinion, it is formed somewhere and usually (on some level) has a base in reality.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My "reformed" Catholic friends told me horror stories. The Catholics that I meet are very devout and do not apreciate any questioning of their faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have not personally met a miserable Catholic and I have no idea where that idea comes from. I suppose there could be some who are, but you can find miserable people in every denomination or non-denomination for that matter, I couldn't see singling Catholics out regarding that. I know of the Catholics I am friends with that they are encouraged to read the Bible, they have Bible study and having gone to church with them there are suggested readings for the week right in their bulletin. They also have Bibles that they give away for free right there before you go in to sit down for Mass. And yes, they are absolutely Christians.
    Anonymous

• "My "reformed" Catholic friends told me horror stories."

Like?
    Anonymous

• I was raised catholic but am now pagan. I have to say that yes, Catholicism is an extended branch of Christianity(just as presbyterian, lutheran, etc...) They follow Christ, perhaps not in the way evangelical christians do, but how does that make them any less Christian?

I still don't understand why Catholics pray to saints and mary. That whole thing confuses me because in the bible it says "there will be no other gods beside me". I'm not judging it's just one part of the Catholic faith i never understood. I remember my sister burying a statue of st. jude upside down because that was something that some catholics believed would help sell a house. They have novena's and all this energy focused on saints instead of going to their God.

Saints were not angels, they were human at one time, and then I still don't understand how a man can cannonize someone a saint.

Sorry for rambling...did i answer your question? LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I will add (probably has some bearing on the incident last night). Catholics in areas with a high density of Catholics (Catholic church on every street corner) probably have a better opinion of the church than those in more rural areas. As the churches where there are many have to keep the congregants engaged and cannot just "blow them off" because that person can just go down the street and find another church.

However, Catholics in rural areas have a MUCH different experience. My last church was the only catholic church for 40 miles and driving farther was not an option. So when the priest in that church "blew me off" it soured me and I ended up changing churches to a more open congregation (and friendlier in my opinion). But there was not another Catholic church nearby so the competition to keep congregants falls to other faiths. When people leave the Catholic church in these areas, they generally find another faith
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I am afraid that there is still some anti-Catholic (or Papist) propoganda being distributed by a few Protestant leaders. Even some of the stuff from the time of the Reformation & religious wars is still professed today. There isn't much good information around for the general public to learn the truth about "other" religions either.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2009