Care Packages to Iraq

What would you send in a care package to a soldier on his 4th tour in Iraq? Please keep it nice. I don't want to hear any bashing. This soldier by no means started the war he is over there busting his butt though.

(I started dating him 3 weeks before he left so I would really love some ideas)

For those of you who talk a bout politics all the time (both sides) when was the last time you sent a care package over to some troops? There are a lot of them over there with no family to do this for them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband and I have "adopted" nearly two-dozen soldiers since this group started! Link gives you ideas for care packages.....basically any of the "creature comforts" of home that they can't get on the battlefield, from home baked/non-perishable goods, snacks, magazines, travel sized games, disposable hygiene products, undergarments, and prepaid phone cards!

http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?page=adopt-a-soldier

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Not really sure what type of stuff youre allowed to send...but men love food, anything that reminds him on home---beef jerky, oreos, even ramen(men love it for somereason). You could also include a few pictures of family,friends, and you of course.
    I remember when I was little we sent my dad a little box of stuff. We put his favorite snack foods, pictures, card games and his magazines that he missed.
    Hopefully that help some.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 12:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• When my dd's bf was over there I sent him cheezits, beef jerky, m&m with peanuts and a calendar. All were things he requested.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm not sure why they would need a prepaid phone card when they have a special room set up just for free calls to home and most have laptops and can contact anyone they want anytime. They also have free skype but you could ask him if he needs a prepaid phone card.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the replies I am going to the post office and finding out what the largest box is they will send over there and filling one that size with all sorts of things. I want to make sure he is getting a lot of stuff, and I figure what ever he does not use he can give to his soldiers that are not getting things sent to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• well I dated someone in the navy and while he was on ship I sent him a few packages, I got together with his grandma (he lived with her) and she helped, stick with things that he likes.... books, crossword puzzles, snacks, anything that will keep him busy on down time. I also wrote really long letters i'd date it and write a paragraph or two a day and then at the end of the week i'd send it out. maybe those white tank tops, tick tacks or breath ments cause they can't always brush teeth. the list goes on and on.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 12:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Beef jerky, hard candies, individual servings of any kind of drinks that can be mixed with water, (hot chocolate, koolaid, gatoraide, soup mixes, coffee, etc) paperback books, magazines, (girly mags aren't allowed tho), puzzle books, pens, writing paper, stamps and envelopes, toys such as rubiks cubes and the like. Some guys like the little, battery-operated plastic fans they can clip on their helmets to give them a little breeze in the heat. They love non-alcoholic baby wipes, the ones with alcohol sting. Non-scented skin lotion, LOTS of chapstick and/or lip balm, Socks, they use up a lot of socks over there. Most of them seem to prefer white, 100% cotton socks. Avon Skin So Soft bath oil is the best bug repellent they have ever found and it costs a LOT over there if they can get it at all. Lots and lots of pencils to give the little kids.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Pagan_mama pretty much nailed it! I've also had requests from my "adopted" soldiers for things like protein bars to keep on hand for snacks, decks of cards, and favorite things they might not be able to get over there (certain snacks, etc).
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Everyone has great suggestions, but also you should take care not to put toiletries and food items together in the same box. The smell and flavor of the toiletries can get into the food (even if everything is wrapped up nice and tight).

Also, I have heard that they like romance novels.  I'm not sure how true that is though.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Wow, for a minute I thought that you were talking about care packages to Iraqi CIVILIANS, since over a million have died due to our actions. Now that would be a good idea.

And bring the troops home NOW, where they will be safe, and provide adequate medical CARE PACKAGES to injured and disabled veterans, now that is another good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009