Potty Training

I started potty training my now 29 month old and it seems like in daycare she goes potty all the time. At home it's an entirely different story. I have to remind her and once we're in the bathroom it's a game to have her pee. Can I get some advice? I work full time, so please take this into consideration.

Thanks!

kellychris

Asked by kellychris at 12:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you offer a little treat when she does actually sit on the potty and go? I give my daughter a jelly belly jellybean and that has given her some incentive to use the potty more frequently. It's hard when you work full time, I went through that with my first as well. Be consistent but at the same time dont' force the issue. She is still fairly young, she will grasp the concept when she is ready to. Make it fun, utilize the pullups and the plastic pants if you put panties on her so you have less mess to deal with, and just remember, not many children ever go to kindergarten not potty trained. Right now it is a battle of wills, and she likes having control of something. You are doing great Momma, keep it up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 1. Bring the potty out of the bathroom. Your child can sit on it when watching TV. Put dolls and teddy bears on it too.

2. Establish the routine of having your child sit on the potty before climbing into the bathtub. Don’t expect any results. This is just time to get your child familiar with sitting on the toilet.

3. Once your child turns two, work to establish a potty routine where your child sits on the potty twice a day, once before bath time and again before putting pajamas on.

4. Don’t ask your child, “Do you want to sit on the potty?” Any two-year-old will automatically say “No!” Just say, “It’s time to sit on the potty.”
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Notice if your child is dry up to 1-½ hours and stops playing or walking to poop. These are signs of control; it’s time to start teaching your child to use the toilet. Be sure to consult with your childcare provider as to how she proceeds with toilet training. Usually experienced caregivers are skilled at teaching children to use the toilet. Both parent and caregiver should work together and communicate regularly as to the child’s progress. Be prepared to deal with accidents. Don’t be horrified when a child poops or pees in panties. Clean the child and the floor with a matter-of-fact attitude. Then put her on the toilet so the child eventually makes the connection that urine and stool goes in there. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• How is a child rewarded for going potty? Is a reward applied if a child tries? Is a diaper put back on if a child refuses? How are accidents handled? One provider praised a considerate mom for buying a huge supply of stickers, and for rewarding all the kids with one every time her child used the potty. Talk about positive peer reinforcement! The provider was more than happy to dole out the stickers, and was thankful that the parent understood that was an expense a provider could not do for every child. A child who becomes toilet training is a major achievement both for the child as well as the caregiver team! A great partnership and unified goals, consistency and open communication will help to achieve the desired results.kk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• when she does go make sure you make a big deal about it children adapt well to being praised when you go to the bathroom take her with you so she can see that's what she needs to do when she wakes up take her and before she goes to bed that way she gets in the habit you are doing the right thing and yes speak to the daycare and get on the same page so that she has the same training in both place potty training is the hardest you just need to be patient and know she will get it like i said do a lot of praising

quinn24

Answer by quinn24 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• keep your daughter bottomless when you have her so she can learn what it feels like when she has to go. my daughter is 2 and completely potty trained, even at night. most of all, be patient. when she sees you stressed out about it, she will be too. keep the potty in the living room are so she remembers to use it. there will be accidents, have her help clean it up.
    nickolesmommy02

Answer by nickolesmommy02 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2009