child support

I just started getting child support inforcement the government issues me a check from her father they either put the check on your Card they issue you or direct deposit it does anyone know if they have the right to look and see where your spending the money not that i would be spending it on anything i shouldn't but one day i might put my stuff with my childs and pay for it together or go out to eat or something and use the card instead of paying with cash or something

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• They don't keep tabs on you. That's your money to do with what you see fit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• No they don't keep tabs on what you spend it on.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• the government doesnt care how you use the money, but the payer does have the right to know that the money is being used for support. They have to go to court and petition to get this information. It wont be just an itemized list from your card. You should keep receipts that pertain to your child. these include rent, grocery bills, clothes, shoes, toys, school supplies, tutors, baby sitters, and so on. The card is not monitored. use it for ANYTHING you need. I have been there. My ex is a real tool, so hopefully you wont ever need to "prove" you are taking care of your child. Your ex should keep all receipts too. Good luck!
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 12:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I don't think they monitor anything, but I went with direct deposit anyway. My child support is always spent for things my kids need but I didn't want to have to deal with another card. I didn't know that the parent paying support could petition to see receipts of where everything is going. I know both my ex & I had to produce receipts while we were divorcing but that's it. I would think it would have to be a pretty extreme case for a judge to order that. Maybe it varies state to state?
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• thats your money and you can do whatever you feel is best with it just because you go out to eat doesnt make your daughters clothing or food bill any cheaper
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• The only way a person can petition a court to see proof of where the money is going is if there is suspected drug use (and the money is being used to buy drugs) or abuse and the child isn't being taken care of.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• The courts don't care what you spend the money on. Do you know what child support is used for? ANYTHING to the support of the child. That includes...rent/mortagage,insurance for home and car, gas for the car, utilities, groceries, extra curriculars, school fees and costs, car payment, clothes and shoes. An ex could be an ass and ask the courts for you to list what you spend on the kids in a month, mine did. He though paying half of what I spend on my son a month would be cheaper than the $50 a month that he does pay. Boy was he surprised when I started listing what I spent and his half would be well over the $200 he is ordered to pay. Thanks to the judge he realized what child support goes towards.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2009