How do I keep from tearing this time around?

With my DD I was cut 2 times and tore ALL the way down. I really dont want to try and recover from that again, while having a newborn and a toddler. I heard you dont tear as easily with the second...is that true? Also what are some ways to prevent it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dont push when you dont feel the urge go slowly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Having an episiotomy INcreases your chances to tear (in addition!), so avoiding an episiotomy is a great start.

Please know that there are ways to avoid tearing, so birthing with the perineum intact (or mostly intact) is possible.

Consider: Perineal massage/oil, kegal exercises, water labor/birth, NO coached pushing, hand on the emerging head & perineum, blowing air Os slowly, intentionally slowing down the crowning through concentration. Be sure to stay upright, move & wriggle your baby down and out. :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• doulala

• my first I had an episiotomy, and my second I barely tore. I think what really helped was breathing my baby out rather than purple pushing. I pushed in a position I felt comfortable with and that helped gravity do all the work (I was on all fours). I just allowed my body to do the pushing when it felt the need to rather than taking it upon myself to push. I just breathed through the pushes and I had two very slight tears, I didn't need stitched or anything and they healed really quickly.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have heard that perrineal massage is supposed to help
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009