Should I pull my son from Kindergarten?

My son is 4 and will turn 5 on Sept 27. The cutoff for his school is Dec 23 to enroll for Kindergarten so I enrolled him. He knows his ABCs, can count to 30 & higher, knows shapes and colors and can recognize all sorts of signs so I figured he's ready. He didnt attend preschool. My husband and I dropped him off on the 1st day and he was ok, the teacher said he kept asking for me but that he did good. The next morning when I dropped him off he screamed, ran, started hitting things, & was on the floor yelling. Finally the principle came & talked with him, distracted him, & told me to leave. The 3rd day was worse than the 2nd. Same temper tantrum but worse 2 ladies carried him kicking and screaming into the room after 40 min. It was so traumatizing for me and him. This is a full day K class 8-2. Should we try again on Tuesday and see how it goes or put him half day? Or put him in preschool at the same school?

lapetiteamie

Asked by lapetiteamie at 1:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• MOM- WHAT DOES YOUR HEART SAY? LISTEN TO YOUR GUT FEELING! In my opinion, If your child is acting like that then take it as a sign. I really think you should pull him out. Put him in a pre-K class instead. My son wasnt ready. My son was very very very good except for in the classroom so I took that as a sign. He was smart enough to do the work but having a hard time dealing with social situations. Plus he said they didnt give him enough time to focus on one thing. I evaluated the classroom and they had too many activity centers. The private school claimed my son was emotionally disturbed. My ex-husband and I dont agree on much, but we both laughed at this one. So we pulled him out. He is in public school and loves it and is doing very well! :)
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• keep trying...itll get better...if you take him out youre reenforcing his fears and anxiety...Make sure you leave him with a smile and youre not upset doing so, hell see it and hell come around.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i would say do half a day... did u really think he was going to just deal with it like nothing?? not many kids do. Give him time he will get over it.. u pulling him out shows him if he kicks and screams that hes getting his way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I would give it a little more time. It's normal for some kids to have these fits when starting school or even day care. It's better if you don't linger, it will draw out his tantrum further because he is getting what he wants. For you to stay with him. Make a plan with the teacher maybe that some one from the school meets you at the door and takes over so you can go?
    Anonymous

• give it 2 good weeks. When he realizes that this is what happens when your 4, he may start doing better. My sons starts pre-k next week and he just turned 4 last month. I think he will do fine.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I would perhaps try preschool. While he may be mentally ready for kindergarten, it sounds like he may not be emotionally ready. I would do a three day/morning a week preschool to let him get used to going to school and being away from you. I would think being traumatized like this might cause him to hate school early on.
    Anonymous

• well personally I would take him out, but I also prefer homeswchooling and for my kids I don't leave them very long unless they are with Grandparents. I don't feel the need to be seperated from my kids, especailly when they aren't ready for that. There is more to to school tahn learning, it also requires you to be seperated from then, and if they are not ready for that than maybe it would be best to wait until they are. just my personal opinion.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My personal opinion is to keep trying and if things don't get better try switching teachers. Then switch to half-day. If things still aren't going well call it good and try again next year.
    sgt.jungswife

Answer by sgt.jungswife at 2:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I know how you feel , my son was so overwhelmed after entering K , but pulling him out would do way more harm than good ,I Suggest if you can switch to a 1/2 day only instead of full day. that's what I did for my son - and talk to him and let him feel secure by letting him know that you are not "far" away, you could also try putting him in the school bus instead of you bringing him in personally,i read books to him about how much fun to ride in the bus and i made it seem like I wished  i was the one going to school, when I decided to put him on the bus (going in to school.If I had the time I'll pick him up after school,and this made him feel so happy ) I rewarded him with a special outings, or a surprise to encourage him in doing things on his own and it took a few days but it worked and never again did he cry , is not easy but with encouragement and patience you can do it.

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 2:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm going with precious 333 on this one. My daughter went through this in first grade and I allowed it then thought why am I doing this to her and brought her home to be schooled. If you are not in a position to this I suggest you take a look at your states laws most state that a child does not need to attend school until they are seven. Another thought is to hold off for another year he will have no problems considering his age it might be better for him. I wish I had done this with my daughter she was always one of the youngest in her class because her b-day is in July I think that is why she struggled so much through high school. Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 2:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2009