having a period while pregnant?

I Know u can have ur period while ur pregnant. I was wondering how common it was and how it changed or did it stay the same

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, you can have a "period" while pregnant.
    While I was pregnant, my boss had a full on period when she was pregnant.. and it wasn't implantation bleeding OR spotting. It came at exactly the same time every month, just like her normal cycles. It just lasted a couple days longer. And she was definitely pregnant, because 9 months later, a baby was born.
    Her OB told her it wasn't very common, but it could happen, just something the body doesn't realize sometimes. I dunno. It happened with a friend of mine's mother as well.

However, since it's not nearly as common, I wouldn't look to periods to think/hope you're pregnant. Rather, taking the usual steps. Pregnancy test - if you still think you might be, then a blood test... ultrasound, and definitely speaking with your doctor about this.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• its actually not a period, although it seems like one, its pregnancy bleeding and I'm not quiite sure the reasons for it... I think its hormones. My mil had what she thought was a period the first month of both pregnancies.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• OP...well i had 2 periods one month and the next month it was 2.5 days i dont know if that could be a sign of pregnancy or not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• ....Have you even taken an HPT to confirm it? Or are you going by periods? :/
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i agree, its not an actual period if you are pregnant. I had bleeding like a period with my second baby, but i was told it was the fetus attachingto the uterus walls that caused scratching and lead to bleeding. if you have a "period" then you are not pregnant simply b/c you cant ovulate while already carrying a baby.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• agreed that its not a period while pregnant because a period is your body ridding itself of your egg for that month and getting ready for the next one which cant happen if the egg is implanted and fertilized (unless its a miscarriage of course) its actually called spotting..whichis actually quite common although I never had it
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 2:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009