What is the proper etiquette for baby showers?

Mine will be next month- are these affairs for women only? do i invite my husband? male friends? i have registry cards from babies r us but i dont want to be pushy because i know that place is pricy.

I will ask him if he will feel awkward or left out because i'm not sure, his mom is coming from idaho to throw the shower for me and he rarely sees his mom so he should go, right? maybe just in a seperate car incase he gets overwhelmed?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the last shower i had for a friend was coed...the boys had their beers and "man time" outside and the women did their thing inside..register @ a local target or walmart too and include those with the other registry, that way noone feels pressure to spend a lot of $ if they cant.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• my baby shower was co ed and you can put in the registry cards but dont be surprised if people dont get whats on your registry people might just ask what you need but it is acceptable to put those cards in
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I dont believe that their has to be a certain way to throw a baby shower. Yes it usually is girls only but more and more people these days are doing co-ed showers. Do what you want to celebrate your baby coming to this world. People usually appreciate you making a registry so they can get an idea of what you like and want, I dont think they would feel pressured into getting you something they cant afford.
    HollySebeck

Answer by HollySebeck at 2:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You can do whatever you want. I've been to coed showers (my first was one). The guys feel a little awkward and less than excited about cute baby clothes, but it's fine if you want them there. I just had one a few weeks ago that was girls only and it was a lot of fun - more girly and like a tea party. Really, it's what you want and feel comfortable with and if you think he'd like to have that time with his mom then invite guys too. :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 2:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• mine was coed..we ate..played games..and opened presents...there was beer for the older people because I shared my shower is with SO's sister who has alos been pregnant (but at this time had already had her daughter)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 2:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• ours was co-ed & SO's friends had fun AND were extremely attentive during gift-opening. Devin (my SO) had such a good time, i was happy. just have man-friendly food and def beer. and the registry thing, i don't think people will feel pressured to buy expensive items. they can always peek at your registry & do their own thing based off of what you want. a lot of people did that with mine & i still loved everything i got!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2009